No announcement yet.

Can I save this PC for recording?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I save this PC for recording?

I've been using a Vaio laptop, and it's worked okay but does have some issues....limited storage for one.

I've recently freed up a family pc Gateway GT5014 Similar to this one with a memory upgrade.

The sound chip has some issues, so a new sound card is in order. And I'll need a firewire input for the Presonus Firestudio.

Soundcard needs upgraded, but otherwise this PC has been a fine XP OS machine for us. Do I stay with the laptop, or convert this to my recorder?

88 views and no help? hmmm fishy.

Comment

try this in a different forum, it's sparsely populated here.
      maybe they can assist you here
      http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forumdisplay.php?50-Craig-Anderton-s-Sound-Studio-and-Stage

in a more timely manner or steer you correct

Comment

Thank you!

But it's weird 88 people checked it out (or rather 88 views)...that isn't "sparsely populated". PC/windows forum, a PC/Windows question, 88 views.

No response. Weird.

Comment

Not sure what you want.

If storage is a problem on your laptop, add external drives. On my previous Gateway laptop I daisy-chained a firewire drive to my interface and used a usb drive.

As for the Gateway desktop it's like any other computer. Just add whatever you need and have at it.
          If you're adding a firewire card, make SURE it has Texas Instruments firewire chips (SIIG and Belkin cards are standards)
          Tim O'Brien

Comment

Not sure what you want.

If storage is a problem on your laptop, add external drives. On my previous Gateway laptop I daisy-chained a firewire drive to my interface and used a usb drive.

As for the Gateway desktop it's like any other computer. Just add whatever you need and have at it.
            If you're adding a firewire card, make SURE it has Texas Instruments firewire chips (SIIG and Belkin cards are standards)

Well, I am finding a few answers at the other forum. But...I wanted to address your post.

Sometimes....it's not even clear what the questions are, let alone the answers. As far as my desktop.... Do I have a big enough power supply to support additional cards? Will my mobo support and configure a sound card? Will this computer support and configure a firewire chip? Will the system have a lot of lag or other anomalies? Will it's age effect recording process? (as in outdated components). IS the processor powerful enough to handle high stress recording....lots of firewire data, plug ins, and "mastering" software?

These might be issues that some people like you don't even think about. Either have a powerful enough system or enough knowledge to not worry about. They could also be the completely wrong questions to ask. I do not know, that's why I am here asking!

Can I add external drives to my Vaio? How does that effect data retrieval? How easy is it to add more ram to a laptop? Again, is the processor powerful enough?

I don't know enough about computers, and especially recording....so looking for advice on how to make this computer work, of even if I should attempt it.

Comment

You are worrying too much. I started recording on Pentium2's.
              Even those computers can do enough to get you started.

Multiple hard drives (even externals) is more efficient and the way to go.
              Best setup for ANY daw:
              Os, apps and plugins on boot drive
              Sample libraries on second drive
              Audio tracks and project on another separate drive.

Adding ram is simple and just a matter of looking at the manuals (you can get them online) and resources like http://www.crucial.com/store/advisor.aspx
              Tim O'Brien

Comment

You are worrying too much. I started recording on Pentium2's.
                Even those computers can do enough to get you started.

Multiple hard drives (even externals) is more efficient and the way to go.
                Best setup for ANY daw:
                Os, apps and plugins on boot drive
                Sample libraries on second drive
                Audio tracks and project on another separate drive.

Adding ram is simple and just a matter of looking at the manuals (you can get them online) and resources like http://www.crucial.com/store/advisor.aspx

Yep you are right...I am worry wart. I just don't have enough cash to buy another new PC, or upgrade this one and find out it won't work.

Thank you for responding!

Comment

you have saved in external memory when you have the used recording then connected to external memory thats great ideas.

Comment

I also agree with you save you pics in external device.
                    watch full movies online for free with HD quality

Comment

Working...
                    X