Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Song-writing software alternative to Sibellius ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song-writing software alternative to Sibellius ?

Hello,

I've been using guitar pro 5 for years for writing my songs.

While the interface is really efficient and intuitive, it has many flaws : a lot of bugs and it deals with any instrument as if it were a guitar, which makes it painfull to write a piano part for example.

Guitar pro 6 came out but it's a piece of ****************. It removed usefull fonctionnalities from the previous version, added useless ones and has even more bugs.

I've tried out Sibellius but the interface seemed terrible, unclear and unintuitive to me. For example, why doesn't the playback jump to the section you click in ? Anyway, it seems to be more for professional writers. I have some basics in music theory but that's all.

Is there any software closer to guitar pro but with more features and less bugs ?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Gear :<br />
    <br />
    Gibson LP Standard<br />
    Fender Stratocaster US<br />
    Jackson King V2<br />
    Schecter Blackjack C7<br />
    <br />
    Marshall Jvm205C<br />
    Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100w head<br />
    Framus fr212CB</div>

If you want to fool around with something that does notation quite well (like Sibelius or Finale), I'd recommend MuseScore, open and free. It's probably not what you're looking for, exactly, but it is useful and one can't beat the price!

I've done the bulk of my songwriting the last decade in PG Music's (yeah, the Band-in-a-Box folks) Power Tracks, their daw-plus-midi program. Still quite inexpensive and has a good set of recording features, but I really like it for its composition abilities.

Comment

Musescore is fine for most notation and is free.

I also use Harmony Assistant. It's $80 but very powerful and has more of the feature you may want. Try the demo.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Tim O'Brien</div>

Comment

I actually just found out that some fonctionnalities i took for granted seem to be unavailable in sibelius first which i downloaded. My head almost exploded trying to figure out how to change a part's instrument and turns out it's available only in the 500$ version. M'kay ...

Anyway, i'm gonna get the trial and see if i can get myself used to it for some time.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Gear :<br />
        <br />
        Gibson LP Standard<br />
        Fender Stratocaster US<br />
        Jackson King V2<br />
        Schecter Blackjack C7<br />
        <br />
        Marshall Jvm205C<br />
        Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100w head<br />
        Framus fr212CB</div>

Comment

Working...