X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• music software and hard drives

gonna get BAND IN A BOX and some CAKEWALK stuff for my new pc

i notice that these progs need tons of memory and hard drive space......

well my new pc has 8 RAM and a 2 titty thing for the HD

question is ..do these progs take up all this space only when they are active?

thing is, two or three of these progs on your machine and all the hard drive space vanishes,yeah? and the machine becomes slower,right?

what about having the music software progs downloaded to an external 2 titty hard drive thingy?......and operate them from there...would that work?make sense?practical?.....is this the norm anyways?

would this set up not leave my nice new pc (RAM and HD) free to operate at optimum speeds for other ****************?

forgive all the stupid noob/naive questions.thanks guys

John

bump

Comment

You need to be running a 64-bit version of Windows to take advantage of the 8Gb of ram. BIAB ships on a 160Gb portable drive so it takes less space than that. There is more than enough room with a 2Gb hard drive.

The OS (Win) is going to manage the memory and drive usage to make the progs work. You should be fine with that setup.

regards, Jack
      AMZ Free Effects Projects
      Guitar Effects Blog
      Twiitter

Comment

• MrCompuDoc
        MrCompuDoc commented
        Editing a comment

AMZ-FX wrote:
        You need to be running a 64-bit version of Windows to take advantage of the 8Gb of ram.

That's ONLY if the MoBo supports it!! You can NOT instal a 64 bit Op_Sys on a 32 bit motherboard w/ 32 bit processors.... [Just sayin']

Good Luck!!

Is that only 64 bit version support and not 32 bit version support, my system has also been slow down and computer starts hanging after 1 min of start up...

What is the solution in order to solve this ?

Comment

• MrCompuDoc
        MrCompuDoc commented
        Editing a comment

techforums123 wrote:
        Is that only 64 bit version support and not 32 bit version support, my system has also been slow down and computer starts hanging after 1 min of start up... What is the solution in order to solve this ?

Too many possibilities - not enough information...

Get a bigger hammer!!

Good Luck!!

yes they do take!!!! and it will suppot all new media sofwares

Comment

I went through a major upgrade to stay current, Windows 7 from XP because new software only works on Windows 7. So far the installation of new OS and music software has eaten up half of one of my partitions of over 100 GB. The programs nowadays are huge and you need 64 bit computers with lots of ram and HD space. Fortunately, for desktops at least, not that expensive to get the recommended computer specs. Still, you can easily get by with older, less powerful systems with old software if you're comfortable using outdated setups. Who says you have to upgrade, right? All we're doing is multitrack recording and mp3 output. But I wanted Pro Tools and EZ Drummer and had to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
        X