Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My SSD Upgrade Theory, Could It Be This Simple?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SSD Upgrade Theory, Could It Be This Simple?

My newest MBP came with a SSD. Besides the fact that, to this point, it's uncluttered with looking for external hardware and such it's blazingly fast. I have a couple of older MBPs (one I use exclusively for live band and another dedicated to my studio) and I started thinking how nice it would be if those also had SSDs. I wondered if I could do it by simply removing the old drive, installing it into a FW enclosure, installing the new drive and then booting from the old drive via firewire and cloning the old drive to the new drive?

Has anyone tried this?

Greg
    http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Greg, I'm pretty sure you can do exactly that. I have a couple of MacBooks that I've been thinking about adding SSDs to, and that's pretty much exactly how I'd do it... but I'd also make sure to do a full Time Machine backup too to a third drive. If something goes bad with the cloning, you have that to fall back on.

My most recent DAW computer build (3.5GHz quad core i7) originally had a HDD in it, but shortly after putting it together I decided to put in a SSD boot drive. The difference in the feeling of speed, in the responsiveness of the computer, is considerable. Just the reduced boot time and program launch time for Pro Tools was enough to justify the cost of the SSD.

Please let me know how it works out for you. I'm thinking about upgrading my MBP fairly soon. I think that for my MacBook Pro moreso than my old White MacBook, it would really be a worthwhile upgrade. It's not that old (quad 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM), it's still reasonably powerful, and I use it often enough that an increase in speed and responsiveness would be appreciated. I'll probably pull the old optical drive out (who uses CDs anymore anyway, right?) and put it in an external USB case (because you never know when you may need a DVD after all), leave the existing HDD and add the SSD.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
      that's pretty much exactly how I'd do it... but I'd also make sure to do a full Time Machine backup too to a third drive. If something goes bad with the cloning, you have that to fall back on.

Please let me know how it works out for you.

I'll probably pull the old optical drive out (who uses CDs anymore anyway, right?) and put it in an external USB case (because you never know when you may need a DVD after all), leave the existing HDD and add the SSD.
      Definitely be backin' up before changing anything. I'm keeping an eye on the e-mail ads I get and when I see the drive(s) I think I want I'll snatch 'em up. I'll have to start with the studio mac, it's a core i5, the last of the 17" models I bought new in 2010 I believe it was. If that's a success then I'll look to the live performance MBP. It's a refurb I bought just for the band thing because I didn't want to use the one that had lingering personal info on it. It has one big dent in it but is otherwise ok, a core i7 model that I got for the insanely low price of about $750.
      The new MBP I have doesn't even come with an optical drive, one would have to buy a usb one in order to load a CD/DVD.

In any case with Spring here I'm busy as all get out and will soon be taking a short vacation so it may be a while yet before I have time to attempt any of this stuff.
      Last edited by ggm1960; 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM.
      http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

Whenever you get around to it, we'll be here.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Haven't thought much about SSDs but this caught my eye.

http://www.geek.com/chips/worlds-fir...-july-1622377/
          Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

At around $800 it's not cheap, but could you imagine having a 6TB SSD? That would totally rule for use as a sample library drive!

- George Carlin

Comment

I know with a PC you need to use software to completely clone a drive. You set the new drive up as a second slave and then use the software to copy to it. I believe some rebooting is involved because some files like system files and services wont copy themselves while the operating system is running so it gets done during the reboot process running on the software in an MS dos mode of something similar.

Macs have the ability to clone drives built into the OS which makes it allot easier. You just connect the second drive up with the first running as normal. http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...clon_data.html

Comment

In some of these cases, you don't need the speed to spool samples from SSD's, unless you are running huge amount of samples.. The other problem in 3 years there are going to be 384 terrabyte SSD's the size of a usb stick.. You may not be able to wait that long.. It's getting harder and harder to get clear answers.. I called HGST regarding their 10 terrabyte drive.. more efficients.. Said it may not work in my old Mac Pro.. Better to wait till I got a new Mac Pro.. But I am going to hold out till the version of macPro.. if it even comes out. Other guys are saying Imacs are working fine for them.. External SSD's will only run as fast as the connection they are using.. USB 3 might be faster now, than Esata.. not sure.. Hopefully you might be able to find a store, that will let you return products. B&H photo has a one month return policy no questions asked.. Don't know if that goes for mail order.. You should check.. I live nearby.. And have purchased, things, found they worked out fine.. but would have been no problem to return if they didn't. If you got a Mac Pro cloning a a Esata to SSD is fine.. (I've done that several times..) speed improvement makes it feel like a new computer..

Comment

Working...
                X