X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is disk3s3?

Hi, I have a non-bootable disk with only samples on it, including the Sibelius library. Odd things were happening inside Sibelius which may or may not be related to this question: what the heck is disk3s3?

I'm new to Sibelius so it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm doing yet. But some samples were not playing, so I wanted to check disk permissions etc. I went into disk utility to verify the volume that had EW and Sibelius samples on it. checked out OK. But I noticed also an unmountable MS-DOS disk named disk3s3. I have no idea how it got there or what it's for. I have not been able to get a clear definition of this online. I was hoping someone could help.

Thanks!
    Mac Pro 2008 - OS 10.6.8MOTU Digital Performer 8.1, Machfive 3, Sibelius 7, Eastwest QLOrch

Had you been using that old disk as a Windows format compatible drive before? I think disk3s3 is just part of the numbering system for OSX. The more drives it identifies, the higher the number. disk3s3 may be the 3rd or 4th drive identified by OSX but to be honest, I don't remember much about how that works..

Maybe it's actually a partition on the disk. Is it partitioned?
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Well, it doesn't have anything to do with Sibelius, that was another problem. I have a feeling that TechTool put it there, but there's no date and why it's an DOS image I have no idea. AND, why did it put it on my samples disk when that wasn't even the one I was checking?
      Mac Pro 2008 - OS 10.6.8MOTU Digital Performer 8.1, Machfive 3, Sibelius 7, Eastwest QLOrch

Comment

How large is the image??
        "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

It's 133Mb. Question: The option to repair permissions are grayed out for my disks that don't have the O.S. on them. Is this by design?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop
            View Post

It's 133Mb. Question: The option to repair permissions are grayed out for my disks that don't have the O.S. on them. Is this by design?

Dunno then. It might be worth checking in with some Sibelius types as that might be the format the samples are stored in. A kind of disk image that Sibelius happily accesses!?

As far as permissions are concerned, macos probably doesn't see it as a disk image it can access. Disk permissions only works with apple installed packages/installers anyway.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop
              View Post

Hi, I have a non-bootable disk with only samples on it, including the Sibelius library. Odd things were happening inside Sibelius which may or may not be related to this question: what the heck is disk3s3?

I'm new to Sibelius so it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm doing yet. But some samples were not playing, so I wanted to check disk permissions etc. I went into disk utility to verify the volume that had EW and Sibelius samples on it. checked out OK. But I noticed also an unmountable MS-DOS disk named disk3s3. I have no idea how it got there or what it's for. I have not been able to get a clear definition of this online. I was hoping someone could help.

Thanks!

If it only appears when you insert that disk, it's probably a hidden partition that originally was included with the drive in order to hold utilities or other programs (you'll see the same thing if you were to, for example, boot from some sort of diagnostic boot CD on a Windows 7 or 8 machine, there's a hidden -- actually just unmounted -- partition the OS uses but which is unimportant to the user).
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------
              "Vaginas are nice, but I wouldn't trade my balls for one." - boxorox

Comment

Working...
              X