No announcement yet.

The Great iPad Mini Dilemma

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great iPad Mini Dilemma

This one has really been winding me up. After getting my hands on an iPad mini in the local Apple Store, i've kind of fallen in love. All the stuff i've read about the 'non-retina' screen didn't really seem to matter after i'd actually used one. Although I can tell the difference (I have an iPhone 4s and have played with Retina iPad's in the same store) it's hardly a deal breaker. The iPad mini's screen seems very clear, bright and concise.

Oh but the internet reports. The more you read about people's dismay that it doesn't have a retina display, and the fact that some people say that the display is awful, i've even started to doubt my own judgement. The big thing for me (other than no GPS) is that it has an A5 processor. The same one as in my one year old iPhone 4s. That, if anything, is the thing that concerns me most of all. I think it's probably three years since the first iPad came out and apparently it will NOT run iOS 6. In this case, going for an A5 processor in a new iModel gives me the chills. What happens in two years when people are moaning that the early 'mini' adopters are seeing major slow downs in their every day iPad'ing life.

I know what Apple are like these days. Their process of forcing obsolescence on their customers seems to have gotten worse and worse. My GF's iMac from 2006 is running fine. It's 1.83ghz core duo actually runs faster than my core 2 duo 2.4ghz Macbook pro as it is 'not compatible' with Mountain Lion and is therefore frozen in OSX time with an earlier OS. I believe however that it would in fact run the OS fine but Apple have decided to stop her computer's compatibility in the hope of forcing her to upgrade to a new iMac. That's cruel.

I know this first hand as recently my Macbook Pro's HD gave up the ghost. I replaced it with an SSD and installed all my software again. In turn, I upgraded to Mountain Lion. On inserting my copy of Logic Pro 7 (hardware dongle and all. ) I was informed that I need to buy a newer version of Logic as it is 'NOT SUPPORTED' in Mountain Lion . After a couple of minutes of silence whilst gawping at the message on the screen suggesting I spend more money with Apple, I decided to install Logic Pro 7 on my GF's iMac using an external HD. After it installed, I moved the external to my Macbook Pro, copied Logic and related files over to the machine, plugged in the dongle and, what would you know... it works fine! Absolutely normally as you would expect. So. Apple tried to convince me that I needed to upgrade as my machine, or more to the point the OS I had bought from them wouldn't work with Logic Pro 7. That is quite frankly a bloody lie. I'm really quite incensed at the whole affair.

So. The iPad mini's screen isn't really a big issue after all in the grand scheme of things. It's more the point that the Mini has an old processor in it that Apple have probably already set a time bomb for. In their ever increasing desire to force people to upgrade their machines before their time, i'm starting to lose my love for them. In fact, I barely love them any more at the moment following Logicgate.

An iPad mini with a low res screen and an A6 chip would be a much better bet for people than an A5 with a retina. Otherwise we'll all be staring at another prematurely obsolete (perfectly working) machine in 2-3 years. iPad 1 owners now how I feel stuck in iOS5 for eternity.
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Good post. Apple's corporate types must be taking over now the Jobs is gone. That didn't help them the last time. Might be time to dump my Apple stock. (It was a nice ride up.) I have a hard time telling the displays apart. They all look great. You don't have to upgrade the OS just because one came out. I've got a mac-mini on Lion that won't upgrade to mountain lion. I'll probably use it until it dies. (That could be quite a while. I've got a running Mac Classic. No use for it, but it's too cute to get rid of.) I'm pretty sure that the A5 chip was a financial decision. The mini is competing in a very low cost world. And while I've upgraded my iphone 4s to IOS 6.0.1 I was very happy with IOS 5. (And unlike a lot of people, I like the new map program. It has its quirks but so do I.)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by WynnD
      View Post

Good post. Apple's corporate types must be taking over now the Jobs is gone. That didn't help them the last time. Might be time to dump my Apple stock. (It was a nice ride up.) I have a hard time telling the displays apart. They all look great. You don't have to upgrade the OS just because one came out. I've got a mac-mini on Lion that won't upgrade to mountain lion. I'll probably use it until it dies. (That could be quite a while. I've got a running Mac Classic. No use for it, but it's too cute to get rid of.) I'm pretty sure that the A5 chip was a financial decision. The mini is competing in a very low cost world. And while I've upgraded my iphone 4s to IOS 6.0.1 I was very happy with IOS 5. (And unlike a lot of people, I like the new map program. It has its quirks but so do I.)

Yeah. The fuss about Maps is crazy. It's pretty damn good I think. Especially when you factor in that it's a usable (although basic) world based sat nav. Yep it's a little bit beta but it has some great features. The google maps weren't that special to be honest. Sometimes I wonder if people are simply too spoilt to realise what they have.

I would have been happy with iOS 5 on my 4s really although you're always wanting something new and I quite often look forward to an OS upgrade. Messages in Mountain Lion is pretty cool now. I can reply to text messages from people without trying to find my iPhone whilst i'm using my Mac. My GF's iPhone 3Gs does actually run iOS6 but it's clunky and almost certainly the last OS she'll get to play with. Such is life I suppose.

I'm all for progression when it makes sense and I know that older hardware is likely to get stuck in the past as more demanding OS's come in to view but it seems clear now that Apple have got an exponentially increasing greed virus issue which I think they need to reign in before too many of their customers move to Android based devices.. The only real threat i've seen to Apple in the past ten years and something they really need to address by being more understanding to their customers..

I do kick myself for not buying Apple stock ten years ago as with a decent amount of money, you could buy yourself a second house with the profits by now. If I had, i'd be tempted to sell up now and invest in something more likely to sustain value.
      "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

My only wish is that maps would verbalize through bluetooth for my motorcycle helmet. I understand that Tom Tom does that, but I don't want to spend $50 for just that. Siri works pretty well though the bluetooth. I can verbally send text, read new incoming texts, call people on my contact list. I'm sure there are other things I don't know that I can do. (The phone itself is in the holster and out of reach while riding.) I can get verbal answers to simple questions. Because I don't have a clock on the bike or my wrist, I ask for the time a lot.

Comment

View Post

My only wish is that maps would verbalize through bluetooth for my motorcycle helmet.

For what it's worth, it does come through my bluetooth equipped Nokia bluetooth machine fitted in my Audi A4. I do use Co-Pilot (which does as well) generally but I have tried the Maps Turn by Turn and all the audio comes through. Might have something to do with your Bluetooth adapter!

Comment

View Post

My only wish is that maps would verbalize through bluetooth for my motorcycle helmet.

For what it's worth, it does come through my bluetooth equipped Nokia bluetooth machine fitted in my Audi A4. I do use Co-Pilot (which does as well) generally but I have tried the Maps Turn by Turn and all the audio comes through. Might have something to do with your Bluetooth adapter!

Comment

Working...
            X