Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just upgraded to Mountain Lion

So far so good. Needed to update Avast. Everything else looks like it's working. Barely got into the voice recognition feature. (Looking forward to that, I've got an iphone 4s.) The upgrade itself went smoothly. There was the 10 hour download from the App Store. (Which could just be the speed of my DSL.)

Let me know if anything goes bad, I'm waiting to upgrade to see if logic is going to get broken!
    Originally Posted by FreestyleIntruder

Originally Posted by JeffLeft

I play drums

Well then what are you doing on a forum for musicians?

Comment

Everything's fine for me so far. Not a whole lot of difference between Lion and it, however it does seem faster, and now boots in 13 seconds. The added security is nice too.
      Court Jester of the Ibanez Wizards
      Mesa/Boogie Mob

Guitars:

Ibanez JS2000
      Ibanez RG421 w/ Dimarzio TZ+AN
      Ibanez SC420
      Fender MIM Strat with built-in Roland GK3
      Seagull S6

Rig:
      '94 Mesa DC-5 combo
      Palmer PDI-09
      L6 Echo Park
      Boss chorus
      Boss SD-1
      AmpKit+ for iPad
      Roland GI-20 MIDI converter

Comment

I did notice that Safari windows popped right open. (2 year old macbook pro) I'm running Cubase Artist 6, but haven't had a reason to fire it up. Portal works fine. (Under the Steam engine.) It seems strange to have only one entry location in Safari. It works ok, just not used to it yet. I'm probably going to see if I can install it on my 2007 mac-mini. (It's on the doesn't work list, but I'm running Lion on it just fine.)

Comment

Cubase Artist 6 looks normal at this point. Can't speak to other DAWs.

Comment

They are advertising Logic after the release of Mountain Lion. I don't have that program but Cubase Artist 6 is running fine. The Mountain Lion upgrade has been pretty smooth. Safari has lost the separate search input but works fine. (Bugs me a little because it's different, but is totally functional. I suspect that in a week or two, I won't remember how it's different.)

Comment

I was just getting my brain around Snow Leopard now Lion. Oh well, I'll wait for a bit longer... allow them to get some of the kinks out.
              Trina

Westerly Guild Guitars - Website
              http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/index.htm

outdoorgb
              My goal was/is to be "Campfire Good".

Stackabones
              What's "campfire good"? I've been around some campfires where the players were pretty good.

outdoorgb
              So if that is "campfire good"...and that is my goal...Then I guess I'll stick to "candle good" until I improve...

Comment

• jina ray
                jina ray commented
                Editing a comment
                woow , so nice

The only real reason to not upgrade at least to Lion is that you need Rosetta for a piece of software. With Lion, Rosetta goes away. Stability is about the same on all OS-X operating systems. A few pieces of software will need the latest patches, but that's a normal part of a computer. I do have a solitaire game that has occasional bad card pictures. (I play around them and after a while, they either clear up or vanish. Either way the game still works.)

Just finally got into Icloud. first 5 GB of storage is free. Did it mostly for locating either my MacBook Pro or iphone 4s. Pretty useable. Not going to do photos through it.

Comment

Just a big up for their pricing. It seems that these upgrades (although increasingly unwelcome for me) are more pocket change than a monthly budget consideration..

I'm not sure I need it at the moment and worry about the stuff I already use falling foul to Apple's legacy policy (Logic 7 user..!) but at least it's not the notable financial outlay it used to be..
                "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

I'm running Cubase 5.5.3 + Native Instruments Komplete 8 on Snow Leopard and all's good.
                  I'm wondering if it's to early to make the jump ?

Comment

when i upgraded to lion last year logic just wouldnt run for me the way it had previously , it ran flawlessly . my drivers to my interface weren't compatible etc. and i lost some cool programs from snow leopard like front row, so i reverted back and have no intention of moving to ml in the near future. just check all your other software drivers for support and read the apple forums to make sure you dont end up with trouble

Comment

Mountain Lion sounds good but I think I'll stick to Snow Leopard on my iMac. I have Lion on my 11" MacBook Air but I prefer Snow Leopard to it. I have actually lost interest in upgrading OSes now and I am still very happy with Snow Leopard.
                      Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha DX7S, Roland Juno 106, Korg Triton LE, Korg R3, Roland D50, Kawai K4, Kawai K5000r, Yamaha EX7, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroKorg, Korg Micro X, Casio HT700, Casio CZ101, Casio VZ1, Casio VZ8M, Roland JV90, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha TG77, Korg 05R/W, Roland JD800, Yamaha DX100, Waldorf Blofeld, Apple MacBook Pro, iMac i5 Quad Core, Logic Pro 9, Propellerhead Reason 4

Comment

I'm happy with the Mountain lion upgrade. You lose all the PowerPC compatible universal libraries when upgrading to Lion. (Rosetta provides the needed support and won't run under Lion or Mountain Lion.) I lost two programs when I upgraded to Lion. I lost nothing more when upgrading to Mountain Lion. (I only replaced one of the programs, so I guess the other wasn't really important.)

Comment

I did it the other day as my HD went belly up in my Macbook Pro. Got a Crucial 256gig Solid State Drive. Obviously everything seems a lot faster now..!!

I have tried the Dictation and it's as efficient as the last time I tried Siri on my iPhone 4s. I can't speaker in the same way I speak to people in real life. I have to pronunciate a lot more obviously but it works really well other than that. I'm never sure of the value of dictation tools as you have to run through it afterwards to check all the spelling errors etc. I'm not sure it speeds up the process of writing something overall but there is something useful about it i'm sure..
                          "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

IMHO Lion didn't bring anything new to the table, and introduced stability, memory and performance issues. After months of struggling with it I'm downgrading to Snow Leopard tonight and never upgrading again. Apple is probably not going to see any more money from me either, too bad the absence of Steve Jobs is showing so soon and in so many obvious ways (iPhone 5 also springs to mind).
                            --

Comment

Working...
                            X