Powerbook G4 wont boot up..help!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerbook G4 wont boot up..help!

Hey,
    I have a Powerbook G4 which has worked without a problem since I got it new back whenever...2004 or something.
    Im away from home ( Ireland) & it wont boot up , (since last week) showing a gray screen & a small Mac Icon with a ' ? ' flashing.
    Im in Riverside / L.A. area for about 2 months & obviously I need help .
    What to do?
    Do any of you have any suggestions?
    I dont have my boot up / OS disc or anything.
    Im wondering if anyone has experience with this problem?
    Ive tried holding 'shift' after starting etc The hard drive sounds normal .
    I would appreciate it very much if anyone could offer me some helpful suggestions.
    Where would a good place to go for diagnosis/ repair if necessary?
    Thanks

Hey,
    I have a Powerbook G4 which has worked without a problem since I got it new back whenever...2004 or something.
    Im away from home ( Ireland) & it wont boot up , (since last week) showing a gray screen & a small Mac Icon with a ' ? ' flashing.
    Im in Riverside / L.A. area for about 2 months & obviously I need help .
    What to do?
    Do any of you have any suggestions?
    I dont have my boot up / OS disc or anything.
    Im wondering if anyone has experience with this problem?
    Ive tried holding 'shift' after starting etc The hard drive sounds normal .
    I would appreciate it very much if anyone could offer me some helpful suggestions.
    Where would a good place to go for diagnosis/ repair if necessary?
    Thanks

Without the original boot discs the world is not a great place to be in these situations. That's one thing i've always pushed Mac users to remember to keep hold of..

That said. 'Some' Apple stores may or may not (the resellers generally) let you buy a copy of an older OS that you may be using for a nominal fee. Then you have the option to boot from that disk and access what the problems may be. If the HD is okay (which is likely isn't by the sounds of things) then you might be able to 'first aid' the disk back in to life. You can often replace just the OS section without losing all the user data you're used to, from that disk...

Diskwarrior is exceptional at fixing critical OS issues but it won't rescue you from a HD failure. Tricky place to be.. Stick with it/us and hopefully you'll get out of the hole..

Regards. Rimmer
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Lookup a place called Melrose Mac. My brother has used them. They may be able to help you out.
      Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNTVice-Chairman, NY section, AESApple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5), Support Professional (v10.6 and v10.7)

Comment

Thanks for your advice Rimmer.. still not sorted yet , but I remain optimistic

Comment

Thanks for that info hociman I will do ..

Comment

Any news? Computer problems are always a bore..
            "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

My first assumptions when that happens to any computer Mac or PC:

1) Hard drive is dead (2004-2012 is a long lifespan for a layer of rust spinning on an aluminum platter)
              or
              2) CMOS battery dead. (These keep the bootup information stored and only cost $3 to replace so you cant go wrong at least trying it)
              Tim O'Brien

Comment

No news yet , thanks for asking Rimmer.
                Yes it is boring not having access to all my stuff. I hadn't realised how dependent I am on my computer & all those files & passwords that I rely on.
                There is a lesson to be learned here..apart from always bringing my external hard drive & backup / startup discs.
                I hope its the backup battery Tim, that would be really handy.
                Im seeing someone ( Mac repair ) tomorrow, in L.A. area, so hopefully they will sort it out for me.

Comment

Do let us know.. Best of luck...

Comment

Thanks Rimmer,

Well its fixed & waiting to be collected.
                    Yes it was the harddrive which has been replaced with a 250 GB one which is great.
                    $250 including labour, which I think is pretty good considering.
                    All my data is supposedly intact , but Ill see. Heres hoping.
                    Its actually good it happened here as it was fixed within a week , when I found the right place. ( The Mac Guys)

Take it easy

Comment

Working...
                    X