Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Apple ever upgrade their Desktop Towers???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am retiring my MPTower and have just purchased a new Mac Mini. I always had the towers with all the expansion capabilities and never really used it. Not really true my old 9500 tower was and still is a great machine... but I digress. I want to see how the mini will work for my desktop needs. The HD from my tower is going into an external drive and I hope I am happy.

I do see a new MPTower at sometime in my future. My real concern is Lion... how are you if you use it, liking it?

Jon

Comment

There was some big news about this late last year. An Apple exec, in a rarity, was upfront that they were considering discontinuing the Mac Pros. They acknowledged that they had readied the new generation of enclosure for Spring but say the sales (especially enterprise sales) just aren't there to justify the machine anymore.

I have a 1.1. Still runs great, but Apple declared it obsolete in less than 4 years and no longer supports it for features like Boot Camp or develops new drivers for it to use compatible hardware they release for the latter MP's (actually, they quit doing that within 2 years). So, the "expandability" is a red herring, and I think Apple recognizes that now, and well just drop the tower all together.

I think, in general, the tower is dead, Mac or Wintel, except for the handful of gamers who like to roll their own.

Comment

www.tonymacx86.com

My Hackintosh runs great. There is a little work to do but it is worth saving the $$.
        CHANGE: 1. Demoralization 2. Destabilization 3. Crisis 4. Normalization

Comment

From what I understand there will be no more Mac Pros or towers starting soon.
          Since I have had three or four, I have opinions about this .
          It will be a serious pain, any time you burn out a DVD laser, or crash a display card, or need to add memory, or shuffle in a new hard drive.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab<br />
          Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville<br />
          Gibson- 76 LP '55 model<br />
          BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe<br />
          Martin- 1972 D-35<br />
          Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12&quot; EVM 12L-F cab.<br />
          Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.<br />
          &quot;Many are cold, few are frozen&quot;</font></div>

Comment

From what I understand there will be no more Mac Pros or towers starting soon.
            Since I have had three or four, I have opinions about this .
            It will be a serious pain, any time you burn out a DVD laser, or crash a display card, or need to add memory, or shuffle in a new hard drive.

No, it really won't be, it will be less of a pain than installing an internal card With Thunderbolt, you will have external devices that will run at the same speed as the internal bus - you are not losing any performance. An external video card, for example, might be more expensive than an equivalent internal one, but that should be more than offset by the lower initial cost of the computer. The only thing that I would be concerned about is that the more powerful models can take lots of RAM, as that should be the one thing that will remain internal. I'm not so sure the Mac Pro is dead yet, but I suspect that it will be soon.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Dexter fans, check out The DexterCast podcast on iTunes or <a href="http://www.thedextercast.com" target="_blank">www.thedextercast.com</a>. Two hosts have seen Dexter, two are watching for the first time.</div>

Comment

No, it really won't be, it will be less of a pain than installing an internal card With Thunderbolt, you will have external devices that will run at the same speed as the internal bus - you are not losing any performance. An external video card, for example, might be more expensive than an equivalent internal one, but that should be more than offset by the lower initial cost of the computer. The only thing that I would be concerned about is that the more powerful models can take lots of RAM, as that should be the one thing that will remain internal. I'm not so sure the Mac Pro is dead yet, but I suspect that it will be soon.

I can appreciate that but of course for "power users" it means a very steep upgrade path. Going from a G4 to a G5 to an intel 8 core, was relatively painless in terms of externals.
              I almost ditched the tower in favor of trying a Mini with external stuff but I am glad I didn't.
              By the time the dual quad is done all this stuff should be fairly standardized and coming down in price .
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab<br />
              Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville<br />
              Gibson- 76 LP '55 model<br />
              BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe<br />
              Martin- 1972 D-35<br />
              Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12&quot; EVM 12L-F cab.<br />
              Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.<br />
              &quot;Many are cold, few are frozen&quot;</font></div>

Comment

Working...
              X