Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Apple ever upgrade their Desktop Towers???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Apple ever upgrade their Desktop Towers???

Big question.

I used to follow Apple desktops as a point of focus, considering them the uppermost level of owning a Mac. The fastest and most adaptable machines.

I've loved the iMac, past it's first generation, and watched it overtake the Mac desktop tower machines in speed and pound for pound cost. Looking at the Mac tower options now is a bit of a joke. The prices are massive but the technology is behind the times..

I'm suspecting the intention is that they'll simply be left to die out to let the iMac and their iOS devices to be the only options available, as the months and years roll on..

I personally wouldn't mind a kick ass tower at the moment and although I love the iMac, I already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor set up that it would fit right in with. Yep, the mac mini is there, but it's not playing top dog as the Tower used to and doesn't offer the graphical upgrade the towers have.

So. Is there another upgrade in the Tower market or are we confined to iMac's and Mac minis for the future?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

whats wrong with todays imac's, i think its the best $ per power, you can get by with the base imac now for 2 years without a hickup and sell it , loose 30% then buy the newest one again, better than putting in 3K into a mac pro for the average or even the semi pro user,
    <div class="signaturecontainer">good deals with:<br />
    <font size="1">Used666,Raysus,BigMESA,Robotechnology<br />
    xiwiwix,J.B.Mesa4x12er2,Demonofthefall,EdgeOvThorn s,1776,theomacy,Extasyguy,guitarslinger,Fretpick,B erkleeBil,lifele55,gearaholic,NecroFetus,Offthisce ntury,The Elitist,Big Rich,Slav123,MRAAJR<br />
    Ultrahighgainl</font></div>

Comment

They probably will in the first quarter of this year, Intel's new version of their sever chip has been delayed.

G-Dub
      www.studiog-fx.com
      15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
      OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

My guess is that there will be one more revision of the Mac Pro and then it will die. When Thunderbolt devices become common, there won't be a need for the internal expandability, and at that point I think you will see only iMacs and Mac Minis.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Dexter fans, check out The DexterCast podcast on iTunes or <a href="http://www.thedextercast.com" target="_blank">www.thedextercast.com</a>. Two hosts have seen Dexter, two are watching for the first time.</div>

Comment

From everything I have read the current top of the line i7 iMac is actually faster than the Westmere Mac Pro.

Comment

From everything I have read the current top of the line i7 iMac is actually faster than the Westmere Mac Pro.

I suspect the same. Sad state of affairs really as those Pro Towers are very expensive. Not something Apple should feel very proud about..!
            <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

No iMac will ever truly compete with the Mac Pro tower in terms of performance. And if they did, they would generate a lot of heat, and therefore fan noise. I'm waiting on a new MP tower myself. I have an original, which is keeping up just fine (even compared to my wife's 2010 iMac) and I dropped a couple quad-core CPUs in it to hold me over. Hopefully they will have a new one out by the time my next fiscal year starts, so I can get it through work on payroll deduction.

But to answer your question, Rimmer, we're waiting on Intel's server chips as gdoubleyou said. If you want an idea of how long, see if you can track details on Intel's roadmap. I think the info's buried on their site somewhere. I haven't bothered to look, since I have to wait until July anyway.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="Blue"><b><font size="7">[Z?]</font></b></font><br />
              <a href="http://soundcloud.com/mus0r" target="_blank">http://soundcloud.com/mus0r</a></div>

Comment

you know that Apple makes almost NOTHING selling computers right? They will slowly shift their entire business to phones and "product free products" like itunes

Comment

Read their financial reports from last quarter and get back to us.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="Blue"><b><font size="7">[Z?]</font></b></font><br />
                  <a href="http://soundcloud.com/mus0r" target="_blank">http://soundcloud.com/mus0r</a></div>

Comment

Actually, I'll save you the trouble.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/apple-records-q4-2011-earnings-of-6-6b-on-28-3b-in-revenue-tops-100-billion-in-sales-for-fiscal-2011/

From the article:

"Apple shipped 4.89 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, a unit increase of 26 percent over the year-ago quarter."

Comment

the "year-ago quarter" was a HUGE drop remember? They'll try to sell cheap computer-like products (iPad/iPhone) but their commitment to full PCs is only going to decrease with a management not so driven by Job's neuroses.

iPads yes,
                      MacPro not so much

Apples PC computers will never crack 5% of total and a tiny amount of their profit, which is mainly small cheap (to make!) computer like products.

Comment

But to answer your question, Rimmer, we're waiting on Intel's server chips as gdoubleyou said. If you want an idea of how long, see if you can track details on Intel's roadmap. I think the info's buried on their site somewhere. I haven't bothered to look, since I have to wait until July anyway.

Yeah. I kind of thought that the Intel (or, whatever other CPU manufacturer that Apple might want to play with?!?) was the yard stick for what is likely to happen although in all the years i've been an Apple man, I have never seen the towers start to fall behind in the way that they have. A couple of i7 quads surely would have had them in a better place than where they are now. All the architecture seems to be there, but not the chips, and to some extent the GPUs..

I'm sitting here waiting with a sense of hope.. Drop the price Apple, speed it right up which would make it viable again, or simply drop it and move along..

Comment

the "year-ago quarter" was a HUGE drop remember? They'll try to sell cheap computer-like products (iPad/iPhone) but their commitment to full PCs is only going to decrease with a management not so driven by Job's neuroses.

iPads yes,
                          MacPro not so much

Apples PC computers will never crack 5% of total and a tiny amount of their profit, which is mainly small cheap (to make!) computer like products.

Macs account for 22%. iOS devices sell more, largely because they're cheaper. If Apple had a Mac in the same price range, it would likely be as popular. Especially if it was a notebook.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/10/despite-record-mac-sales-70-of-apples-revenue-comes-from-ios.ars

Comment

iPads yes,
                            MacPro not so much

I agree to some extent. They are focused on the finger sweeping tablet, which I personally thought was a dead horse from the beginning. Show's how much I know about the future..

Despite that, in my future, I simply find it hard to imagine why they are holding on to the tower if their intent is to drop it. They're hardly short of cash so in some way's they are alienating the power users through technological abstinence and financial advantage taking where their towers are concerned. Give me a 8 core modern processor (i7 or even an i5), a decent graphics card (and i'm talking a 2Gb ram version from one of the current high end processors) for £1600 and i'm in.

Comment

I'm going to post once more on this subject on the risk of flooding the thread..

I just went to Apple's UK site and looked at their entry level Mac Pro..

One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor

3GB (three 1GB) memory

1TB hard drive 1

18x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5

In Stock

£2041

To me, that looks like a mid range iMac to me and even actually falls short in some aspects.. In fact, it even falls behind the Higher option 27" iMac.. Specs (after some mods are...)

3.4gig Quad Core Intel i7

4GB's 1333mhz DDR3 SDRAM

1TB ATA HD

AMD Radeon HD6970 c/w 2GB GDDR5 ram

£1889

Clearly out of sync with the rest of their range. You even get a high end IPS 27" screen with the iMac and it's nearly £200 cheaper.. :facepalm:

Comment

Working...
                              X