X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive mounting

are there any apps I can download that will force the mac to recognize a fire-wire drive, OTHER than the mac utilities?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Orgasms frighten me</div>

Generally a mac will try to automatically mount a volume on a firewire drive if it can. There are numerous reasons it wouldn't mount a drive though. To help zone in on your problem though, what kind of drive is this? Has it been formatted for mac? or was it used on a PC beforehand?

Comment

No, it was always mac, it worked for a while.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Orgasms frighten me</div>

Comment

Go to Disk Utility and see if you can see the drive there. You'll probably see the volume has been greyed out. You can select it and choose the mount function. If that doesn't work, select it and choose repair disk. If that doesn't work, the easiest thing is to erase the drive and reformat it. However, if you've got data on there you need, at this point you need to look into disk utilities such as disk warrior, drive genius, which may or may not work. Final option is my favorite - "data rescue" to scan the drive for data. Then if found found, you can put the data somewhere and ultimately reformat this drive.

Comment

Go to Disk Utility and see if you can see the drive there. You'll probably see the volume has been greyed out. You can select it and choose the mount function. If that doesn't work, select it and choose repair disk. If that doesn't work, the easiest thing is to erase the drive and reformat it. However, if you've got data on there you need, at this point you need to look into disk utilities such as disk warrior, drive genius, which may or may not work. Final option is my favorite - "data rescue" to scan the drive for data. Then if found found, you can put the data somewhere and ultimately reformat this drive.

Seconding Diskwarrior. If the drive wont mount though (as described above) then Diskwarrior wont work.. Sometimes things just break..

Regards. Rimmer
          <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Remember that "every hard drive eventually fails". That's a quote from a how to repair PCs. (Had several different version with the same quote.)

Comment

Working...
            X