Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick review of Lion

Like the general look and feel. Immediately went back to standard computer scrolling. (Apple decided to turn that upside down so it would match the iPhone and iPad that I don't own.)

Hate the new mail client defaults. It does allow you to go back to the Snow Leopard defaults. One of my problems with the new defaults is the two lines of text on each message and a preview window. The lines of text make finding emails too busy. Creates a haystack to look for needles in. Preview windows are still scary to me. (Former PC user.) They probably aren't really a problem.

Decided that I don't like the disappearing scroll bars. (nothing expands to fill that space, so why bother?) They come back easy enough, but it's easy to forget that there's more to the page with them missing.

Lost the use of two programs. Cubase 3 SE that I used for key and tempo changing and Palm desktop and sync programs that I used for my Palm phone. So far anything else isn't a problem. The palm phone will go away eventually, but Cubase 3 SE I could see myself using for at least the next 5 years. Guess that I'll have to look at alternatives. (Garage Band isn't an option.)

I will be loading Lion onto an external drive, for testing, until all my prime apps are updated.
    G-Dub
    www.studiog-fx.com
    15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
    OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Look before you leap! check the compatibility of your apps. http://roaringapps.com/apps:table
      G-Dub
      www.studiog-fx.com

Comment

I installed it on an external drive.

Running Logic in 32bit mode, Automat, and Plugsound pro, are the only AU that didn't pass AU eval.
        Haven't checked for updates yet.

iLok apps seem to work, Melodyne standalone work, haven't tested the plug.

All Pace installers and PPC apps have been tombstoned.

Only apps I lost were the apps bundled with my Epson printer.
        G-Dub
        www.studiog-fx.com

Comment

Only apps I lost were the apps bundled with my Epson printer.

Anything bundled with an Epson should be toss away software anyway. (unless they finally got their act together.)

Comment

Been a few days now. How goes it? Any further insight? I'm still putting off making the leap. I think I'll do the kids' mac mini first. It doesn't have much legacy stuff, and if it goes south, they need the break anyway!
            Two useful music sites: Tuning & Tuners...and one on Nikon

Comment

Interesting. I can imagine the issue with a disappearing scroll bar. I use it as a reference to how much of the page I'm not looking at. Zooming on photos could be an issue if you don't get a mental reference.

I might hit it when i'm back from my canal boat hols. Cheers for the heads up !

Rimmer
              "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

The scroll bar comes back while scrolling. I too use it as a place reference. Still not used to the inverted scrolling, but decided to take the plunge and see if I hate it. I don't. Got my software upgrade to Cubase Artist 6 for $99. Like the changes there. I really like the multiple desktop implementation. I like it and won't be going back.

Comment

I bought 5 new macbooks just as they were discontinuing them-- my rep never mentioned if i waited a week i could get the new ones. then, the computers came with 10.6.4 when i tried to use the hardware update program, the web form wouldn't accept our serial numbers. the alternate method wouldn't accept WV as a state even though I selected it from the drop down. After many hours on the phone with apple care and the itoons - they were never able to get it sorted out -- they said I would have to purchase the upgrades and then wait for a refund. I buy through Apple education on PO net 30 day basis, so that wouldn't work for me. I finally got a person on the phone that issued me a a single redemption code that worked for one of the machines. she has yet to provide the rest of the codes or even return my calls. so I up dated one machine, and here is a little tip about redownloading a pervious purchase

if you open the app store and hold down option while clicking the purchased menu the "installed" button will change to install -- allowing you to re- down load a previous purchase. I downloaded the installer and copied it to the other machines and they updated with out incident. I'm still waiting for apple to provide me a solution

Comment

Yea, it looks like Apple is allowing users to purchase Lion once and install it on any of the machines they own that are running Snow Leopard. It's on two of my machines right now. There's only one more to upgrade in the house.

Comment

I'm also sure that Apple is trying to get those mac users to the mac-app store and used to purchasing from it. The new mac-mini doesn't even have an optical drive anymore. Software will have to be either downloaded, installed from a thumb drive or the user will have to get an external drive to use. Got to admit that purchasing Lion was easy, but they emptied out my itunes money without asking me if I wanted to pay in some other way.

Comment

Working...
                      X