X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSX Lion. Download only ??!!

I'm not sure about this 'download only' version of OSX. I personally am used to having the disks so I can simply install or restore without needing a high speed internet connection.

I like the price, but I think i'd prefer the disks. Apparently you will be able to buy a memory stick off Apple with the OS installed which I suppose it an okay way of doing it but... How would you install from a USB stick if you have a blank Mac?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

When you download the upgrade you can make a usb or dvd installer:

http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Tim O'Brien</div>

Comment

It's download only. You can create a DVD for recovery.

New Issues:
      Can't run Cubase 3 SE - I've got Cubase Essential 4, but it doesn't do a few things that Cubase 3 SE can and I use. The excuse is that it's a Power PC app. It ran fine under Snow Leopard, so being that Snow Leopard already voided Power PC apps, I think they're wrong. I've got PCs in the house that I can run it on, but the convienence is gone.
      Can't run Palm Desktop for the same reasons. This is a real problem for backing up my cell phone. And my Wife's phone requires a sync to recharge on the sync cable. (Weird) It also ran totally fine under Snow Leopard. (More compatible than Safari was.)

Keep watching for other issues. I'll be sending Apple a disappointed user and stockholder note.

Comment

You have the option to go to an Apple store, and connect to one of their Hard drives for an install.

Plus you can order DVD, or get it on a thumb drive.
        G-Dub
        www.studiog-fx.com
        15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
        OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

You're likely running into lack of PowerPC support issues because ROSETTA has been officially dropped. http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/13/mac-os-x-lion-drops-rosetta-support-for-powerpc-apps/

It's download only. You can create a DVD for recovery.

New Issues:
          Can't run Cubase 3 SE - I've got Cubase Essential 4, but it doesn't do a few things that Cubase 3 SE can and I use. The excuse is that it's a Power PC app. It ran fine under Snow Leopard, so being that Snow Leopard already voided Power PC apps, I think they're wrong. I've got PCs in the house that I can run it on, but the convienence is gone.
          Can't run Palm Desktop for the same reasons. This is a real problem for backing up my cell phone. And my Wife's phone requires a sync to recharge on the sync cable. (Weird) It also ran totally fine under Snow Leopard. (More compatible than Safari was.)

Keep watching for other issues. I'll be sending Apple a disappointed user and stockholder note.

Comment

Plus you can order DVD, or get it on a thumb drive.

Can you order a DVD? I haven't seen that option but i'm only just picking up on this...

Offering all the options would be better otherwise they are just herding sheep again...

Regards. Rimmer
            <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

You're likely running into lack of PowerPC support issues because ROSETTA has been officially dropped. http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/13/mac-os-x-lion-drops-rosetta-support-for-powerpc-apps/

You're right. It's the dropped Rosetta support that killed both programs. Ordered an update to Cubase Artist 6. ($99 upgrade from the help pull down menu on Essential 4) Don't really know what to do about the Palm Desktop. Can't sync or display. Will probably move it to a PC for now.

Comment

You can boot off of a USB stick as long as it is formatted correctly by holding down the Option key when turning on your Mac.

Optical discs are a dead media. Ford announced this week it will no longer offer CD players in their cars, just USB ports for iPods, iPhones and thumb drives.

Comment

Sometime about next month, you'll be able to get lion on a thumb drive for $70. That's a $40 premium to avoid downloading it. On the other hand, Apple licensed this for every Snow Leopard computer you own at $30 once. I've already put it on two of my machines. There's one more eligible computer in the house.

Comment

By the way, as an Apple user, I like the policy. As an Apple stockholder, it seems shortsighted.

Comment

there is a recovery method that is also a down load. new mac that come with lion have a recovery HD or partition.

from apple support
                      Recovery HD

OS X Lion includes a built in set of utilities in the Recovery HD. Restart your Mac and hold down the Command key and the R key (Command-R), and keep holding them until the Apple icon appears, indicating that your Mac is starting up. After the Recovery HD is finished starting up, you should see a desktop with a Mac OS X menu bar and a "Mac OS X Utilities" application window. Note: If you see a login window or your own desktop and icons, it is possible that you didn't hold Command-R early enough. Restart and try again.

In order to reinstall OS X Lion, you will need to be connected to an Ethernet or Wi-Fi network. The Wi-Fi menu item is in the upper-right corner of the screen. Click the icon to display all available Wi-Fi networks. Click your preferred network name and, if needed, enter a username and/or password.

more

Lion Internet Recovery

If you happen to encounter a situation in which you cannot start from the Recovery HD, such as your hard drive stopped responding or you installed a new hard drive without Mac OS X installed, new Mac models introduced after public availability of OS X Lion automatically use the Lion Internet Recovery feature if the Recovery HD (Command-R method above) doesn't work. Lion Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's Servers. The system runs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to ensure there are no hardware issues.

Lion Internet Recovery presents a limited interface at first, with only the ability to select your preferred Wi-Fi network and, if needed, enter the WPA passphrase. Next, Lion Internet Recovery will download and start from a Recovery HD image. From there, you are offered all the same utilities and functions described above.

As with the Recovery HD, reinstallation of OS X Lion from Lion Internet Recovery requires an Internet connection. See "Supported network configurations and protocols" below.

Restoring iLife applications after Internet Restore of OS X Lion

If you reinstall Lion on a new Mac that shipped with OS X Lion installed, on an erased or replaced hard drive, you can download iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand from the Mac App Store.

After installation, start from Lion.
                      Double-click the App Store icon in the dock.
                      Enter your Apple ID and password.
                      Click Purchases.
                      If you haven't previously accepted your bundled iLife applications within the Mac App Store, you should see your iLife applications appear in the Accept portion of the screen. Click Accept.

Comment

When you download the upgrade you can make a usb or dvd installer:

http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive

I think i'm going to try that.. Cheers..

Comment

Working...
                        X