Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Curve for Pro Tools-

I have been using DP on the Mac for 10 years and an going to upgrade my system shortly. I am considering moving to PT because of its industry wide acceptance. I have browsed the PT manual (1200 pages) and it looks like Digital Performer actually modeled a lot of its workflow on PT. My question is, how steep is the learning curve? I tried emagic Logic a long time ago and found it completely user hostile (probably no longer the case since Apple owns it now).

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.
    Nord Wave
    Nord Stage 2
    Kawai K5000S
    Korg WS-AD
    Korg TR-Rack
    Roland XV-5050
    Emu Procussion
    Presonus SL 16.0.2
    Yamaha KX-5
    Alesis Vortex

Bump
    New stuff every day on Gain!

Comment

I work with someone who made the switch from DP to PT in 2004. At the time, it took him about 2 months to really get into PT. He was able to use it quickly, but to fully understand it and take advantage of it required time. Of course this also depends on how you learn and how much time you can devote to it.
      Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNTVice-Chairman, NY section, AESApple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5), Support Professional (v10.6 and v10.7)

Comment

It's also about the tutorials you study. IMO, most manuals have good reference information, but aren't good at instruction. Check out a tutorial book by, for example, Peachpit Press, which has cool DVDs with screwed up sessions that you learn to fix.

Macprovideo.com has fantastic online tutorials.
        www.keith-moore.net
        All things guitar: Blog, jam tracks,
        articles, lessons, stuff!

Comment

^^^ That's a great tip, thanks!
          New stuff every day on Gain!

Comment

Midi features are not as deep as DP, so learning curve is about the same as any DAW.

Also be aware that the PT|HD software/hardware IS the Standard.

The new PT|HD native gets you in the ballpark.

Make sure you read PT software guide that explains the different versions and capabilities of the different levels of PT.
            G-Dub
            www.studiog-fx.com
            15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
            OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Working...
            X