No announcement yet.

Macbook pro shutdown hangups.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WynnD
    started a topic Macbook pro shutdown hangups.

Macbook pro shutdown hangups.

My Macbook is intermittently hanging upon shutdown. Anyone got any clues?. (1 year old. Still runs rings around my PC laptop friends.) Didn't see any red flags in the logs.

• WynnD
    replied
    Cleared a bunch of movies off and that seems to have helped. Problem is still there, just less pronounced.

Leave a comment:

• WynnD
    replied
    Just another note: The problem occurs without regard to if it's docked or not. Still there and still intermittent.

Leave a comment:

• WynnD
    replied
    I've tried logging off before shutting down. I really only have one account on this computer. Will create a new one and give that a try. (Not expecting that to work, but would be thrilled to be proved wrong.) The hardware test didn't find any issues. Thanks for the suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• bad andy
    replied
    It might be worth testing this problem with hardware peripherals unplugged. Hard drives, recording interfaces, USB accessories. Try removing one them and tell to shut down. Perhaps one of them is causing this? Do it one by one so you could potentially nail down a specific device.

Also did you try another user account, as previously suggested?

You could also open activity monitor to gain a little insight as to what processes are running. Maybe you can identify something unwanted? Or taking up too much CPU?

Leave a comment:

• WynnD
    replied
    Just updated to Lion. Lost the use of Cubase SE3 and my Palm sync software. Shutdown problem is still there. Will try the extended hardware tests.

Leave a comment:

• hociman
    replied
    If that doesn't work run the hardware test utility that came with your machine.

If you are going to do this, you should run the extended tests and place the machine in LOOPING ON mode. You can do this by pressing Control+L on the testing screen. Let the tests run overnight, and when you come back in the morning, you will either see an error message or not. If there is no error message, you restart your Mac knowing that it's unlikely that a hardware failure is causing your problem.

Leave a comment:

• hociman
    replied
    10.7 is out very shortly and is going to be cheap and it could fix your problem..

10.7 will create more problems than it solves when it is released.

Leave a comment:

• gdoubleyou
    replied
    Try repairing permissions with the disk utility. If that doesn't work run the hardware test utility that came with your machine.

Leave a comment:

• Rimmer
    replied
    For what it's worth. They just released 10.6.8 so it might be worth updating and seeing if that fixes anything. 10.7 is out very shortly and is going to be cheap and it could fix your problem..

Leave a comment:

• hociman
    replied
    Have you tried another OS X user account? If the problem persists across user accounts, it is a system-wide problem. If the problem does not occur with another user account, then there is something going on with the affected account.

Leave a comment:

• WynnD
    replied
    All I can say is that the problem is intermittent. It hangs sometimes no matter how I shut down. When it's in the dock, I have to remove it to force a mechanical shutdown. One time, I didn't quite get it shut down and put it in my laptop case. It got pretty warm. (And the battery was still reading over 80 % after rebooting it.) The whole thing is a nuisance if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• hociman
    replied
    Resetting Safari isn't really doing it. So far the only thing that's working is logging off and then shutting down

Just so I am clear, if you choose Shut Down... from the Apple menu while logged in, you get a hang at the blue screen with the spinning gear, but if you choose Log Out from the Apple menu, then click the Shut Down button at the login window, you don't get a hang on shut down?

Leave a comment:

• WynnD
    replied
    Resetting Safari isn't really doing it. So far the only thing that's working is logging off and then shutting down. So I still don't know what the problem is. May just rebuild the OS.

Leave a comment:

• hociman
    replied
    Hociman seems quite 'deep system level' with a load of his comments so maybe he knows...

Maybe...

Try updating Flash and using Firefox instead of Safari and see if the problem persists.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X