No announcement yet.

Remote Desktop

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop

Although I know OSX and Mac's in general pretty well, i've never used Remote Desktop.

My mother has an iBook but lives 120 miles from me. She gets lost sometimes and trying to tell her what to do over the phone, i'd like to take control of her computer from home..

Possibly a simple task for other's but I basically know nothing..

Cheers... Rimmer
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

You don't need Remote Desktop for this. You do need a VNC client, such as Chicken of the VNC.

On your mother's iBook, go to Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Sharing and enable Remote Login. Next, enable Screen Sharing, click the Computer Settings button, and enable the VNC viewers may control screen with password option and enter a password.

Using the iBook, and while it's connected to the network you need to access it from, go to http://www.ipchicken.com. The IP address you see is the iBook's public IP address.

Now launch Terminal on your computer and enter the following:

ssh @ -L 5900:127.0.0.1:5900

where username is a username on the iBook and IP address is the IP address from http://www.ipchicken.com. Note that you will need the password for the username you typed in.

Next, launch Chicken of the VNC, and open a new connection (Command+N) to 127.0.0.1 and use the VNC password you set earlier on the iBook. Now you're in.
    Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNTVice-Chairman, NY section, AESApple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5), Support Professional (v10.6 and v10.7)

Comment

Hociman.. Can't thank you enough..

I'm itching to try this out now although I don't think i'll try and put my mother through doing all those settings over the phone. I'll set it up and test it through when I am next in her neck of the woods.

Cheers..!!! Rimmer
      "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Hociman.. Can't thank you enough..

You are welcome.
        Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNTVice-Chairman, NY section, AESApple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5), Support Professional (v10.6 and v10.7)

Comment

This is good advice, but if you've got any kind of NAT going on (if her computer is not the first thing connected directly to the modem, and there is a router in between) you're going to have to worry about port forwarding to your Mom's mac. The last thing you want to do from 120 miles away is trying to guide her through setting this up.

The easier option, perhaps, is setting up a remote service like logmein.com

Comment

I'm using JollysfastVNC instead of Chicken of the VNC. (Used the other previously and found it slow.) For floating IP addresses, set your mom up with a clickable shortcut to www.whatismyip.com It will come back with her IP address as your computer will see it. Pretty slick. For example, I'm at a coffee shop and my macbook reports an ip address of 10.0.0.245 Whatismyip reports it to be 155.229.54.230 The first number won't work outside of locally. the second is the one that would work if the rest of the computer is setup correctly.

Comment

I'm using JollysfastVNC instead of Chicken of the VNC. (Used the other previously and found it slow.) For floating IP addresses, set your mom up with a clickable shortcut to www.whatismyip.com It will come back with her IP address as your computer will see it. Pretty slick. For example, I'm at a coffee shop and my macbook reports an ip address of 10.0.0.245 Whatismyip reports it to be 155.229.54.230 The first number won't work outside of locally. the second is the one that would work if the rest of the computer is setup correctly.

I've still yet to have a chance to make it up to hers and sort this out. I am actually heading up there tomorrow so if I get a chance and some time, maybe i'll give these suggestions a shot..

Regards. Rimmer

Comment

Working...
              X