Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoring to picture question

Been working on this dude's short film. He gave me a Quicktime movie that started right away, which I imported into Logic with no problems. Now that we're almost done he sent me a final version of the short with the credits changed to include my name. This new version has a ten second leader that does the 8-1 countdown before the short starts.

I've crashed into some fresh Noob territory. What's the best way to deal with this? Dragging all the audio over ten seconds to the right doesn't make sense. There's no timecode in the short itself, which I've never worked with anyway, so I don't know what I'd do with it. Any tips? Thanks.
    www.keith-moore.net
    All things guitar: Blog, jam tracks,
    articles, lessons, stuff!

Been working on this dude's short film. He gave me a Quicktime movie that started right away, which I imported into Logic with no problems. Now that we're almost done he sent me a final version of the short with the credits changed to include my name. This new version has a ten second leader that does the 8-1 countdown before the short starts.

I've crashed into some fresh Noob territory. What's the best way to deal with this? Dragging all the audio over ten seconds to the right doesn't make sense. There's no timecode in the short itself, which I've never worked with anyway, so I don't know what I'd do with it. Any tips? Thanks.

I can only guide you towards the Logic forum as there as some experts there that will likely answer your question
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Practice helps when trying to line something up. Dragging and dropping isn't very hard and most DAWs will let you stretch the visual of the sound so finding the nearly exact spot becomes much easier. Just make sure your working it as a different filename so you can start from scratch again if you make a major mistake.

Comment

D

SMTPE Universal Leader

There is an audio pop when the leader hits "2" is very important to maintain. It's how the sound and picture are synced.

Background: Since the sound play-head on a projector and the projector bulb can't coexist, sound on film prints is offset by a number of frames. So, in ye olden days of editing with film, you actually had separate picture prints and sound prints that were created at the same time. The leader was included at the beginning of both to sync them up before a final print is made. (if you have ever wondered about the Slate being snapped before each take, that's what the editor uses to line up the raw material).

It is also what you can include and use to make sure any file you give him syncs up as well. So, you move everything over 10 secs to the frame you need it to start at, and make sure the 2 pop is accurately placed and included in whatever you give him. If your score includes the "2 pop" whoever does his final mix can just use it to line up the track with the pop frame of the STMPE Leader and presto!

Did he give you a copy with audio? Does it have the "2 pop?"

Comment

Working...
        X