Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac Air - Will it serve my purpose?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wait to see what these slimline MBP's are gonna look like.

Comment

I've had my MBP for a while now and have to admit that I still haven't used the optical drive yet. I would love to find a way of playing Blu-rays through it though, even if it's an external drive.

Comment

I've had my MBP for a while now and have to admit that I still haven't used the optical drive yet. I would love to find a way of playing Blu-rays through it though, even if it's an external drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-USB-External-Player-DVDRW/dp/B001QA2Y9S
        Amps:
        Orange Rockerverb 50
        Orange PPC 2x12 Closed Back
        Crate BV120H
        Crate 4x12 w/ Celestions

Guitars/Bass:
        Gibson Les Paul Studio White
        MIA Fender Hardtail Standard Strat
        MIM Fender P-Bass Black

Good Deals With :
        Philiprst, BigF

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-USB-External-Player-DVDRW/dp/B001QA2Y9S

I have that exact BD drive. I'm more concerned about the software. I currently have Arcsoft TMT3 and would like to know if it is useable with Mac.

Comment

I have that exact BD drive. I'm more concerned about the software. I currently have Arcsoft TMT3 and would like to know if it is useable with Mac.

Thats a good point. I didn't think of any software solutions. My apologies.
            Amps:
            Orange Rockerverb 50
            Orange PPC 2x12 Closed Back
            Crate BV120H
            Crate 4x12 w/ Celestions

Guitars/Bass:
            Gibson Les Paul Studio White
            MIA Fender Hardtail Standard Strat
            MIM Fender P-Bass Black

Good Deals With :
            Philiprst, BigF

Comment

Once the availability of hard drives improves (due to Bangkok floods) I will upgrade my MBP to 1TB and if I can get suitable software for Mac I would like to replace my optical drive with a Blu-ray drive, possibly a writer.

Comment

?
                I tell them young boys all the time "There's 2 things you really need to be a "bluesman" - Percodan and Whiskey"

Comment

I´d get a Mac Book Pro! I use mine everyday - works like a breeze never had issues...running Ableton Live and Pro Tools under Lion.

Comment

Don't think you will ever go wrong with a MBP. Jury is still out as far as the MBA is concerned tho.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting that Thunderbolt screen to go with my MBP. Just wish the price was a little lower.

Comment

Get a MBP- I LOVE the Air's. You get so much more for the money witha 13 MBP. I dropped a Hybrid drive in mine a month ago, and it flies.

With the air, you have 1 USB only, no optical. Adding or cart just these couple things is more a PITA than having them in the chassis on the MBP. I'd rather se someone get a MBP for work, and a small iPad for travelling as a 2nd machine so to speak.
                        Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Get a MBP- I LOVE the Air's. You get so much more for the money witha 13 MBP. I dropped a Hybrid drive in mine a month ago, and it flies.

With the air, you have 1 USB only, no optical. Adding or cart just these couple things is more a PITA than having them in the chassis on the MBP. I'd rather se someone get a MBP for work, and a small iPad for travelling as a 2nd machine so to speak.

Macbook Airs have 2 USB ports, one on each side, but that has gotten much less important with the addition of the Thunderbolt port, which is going to be used more and more for applicatons which need speed like audio and, even more so, video.

I much prefer the lighter weight of the Air, and, with the current models, which are WAY faster than the Core 2 Duo models, the speed is there, Even my 11" has an 17 processor and a 256GB SSD. The SSD makes a huge difference in performance, as often the disk rather than the processor is the bottleneck, and even when an app needs to swap out to disk for virtual memory, it is very quick, unlike swapping to a conventional hard drive.

As the original post mentions, adding an SSD or hybrid drive to a Pro is a great option as well, I just don't like the weight. I have used an optical drive once in three years, but you can share another computer's optical drive wirelessly or use an external drive if you need one.
                          Dexter fans, check out The DexterCast podcast on iTunes or www.thedextercast.com. Two hosts have seen Dexter, two are watching for the first time.

Comment

Never had any issues with weight on MBP. Wouldn't exactly call them heavy.

Comment

I popped into my local Apple retailer and had a good look over the MB Air. Its svelte, but it just feels like there's something missing in it.

Comment

I popped into my local Apple retailer and had a good look over the MB Air. Its svelte, but it just feels like there's something missing in it.

Yeah the optical drive.

Comment

Working...
                                X