No announcement yet.

whats the deal??

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the deal??

Im looking into buying a mac, but whats the difference between an Imac with an i5 processor, 4gb ramm, 500gb HD or a hp/sony/dell i5, 4gb ramm, 500gb HD with OS X Leopard installed?

I want the best computer on a $800-1200 budget to run my audio program, and daw controller. currently I run Adobe Audition 2...but im looking to upgrade to Cubase, logic, or something else
    www.fisttothesky.com

Well, Leopard has drivers to support all the iMac hardware. The iMac hardware has the firmware to recognize Leopard.

You can't just turn any PC into a Mac clone, if the hardware isn't compatible and if Apple doesn't supply a driver for it, you've got a long, long road ahead of you. Most PC audio and video cards don't have the firmware or drivers to run in OSX. So, Mac clones are piece together with compatible parts.

Comment

If you enjoy fussing with computers, you can save some money by building a frankenmac (Mac OS installed on non-Apple hardware). But you'll have to be careful with drivers, and run the risk that a future Mac OS update will break it.

If you want to get some work done, just spend for the iMac and proceed worry-free. A decent iMac is in your price range. Be sure to check the "Special Deals" section of the online Apple Store...Apple's refurbs are literally good as new.
      Two useful music sites: Tuning & Tuners...and one on Nikon

Comment

hm...seems like i should just buy new...I was hoping for the experience of building my own Mac clone tho
        www.fisttothesky.com

Comment

If you enjoy fussing with computers, you can save some money by building a frankenmac (Mac OS installed on non-Apple hardware). But you'll have to be careful with drivers, and run the risk that a future Mac OS update will break it.

If you want to get some work done, just spend for the iMac and proceed worry-free. A decent iMac is in your price range. Be sure to check the "Special Deals" section of the online Apple Store...Apple's refurbs are literally good as new.

franken mac sounds awesome! but...if i run an udpate and it breaks
          www.fisttothesky.com

Comment

BTW, "hackintosh" is another term people use for Mac OS on non-Apple hardware. That can help you in your search for info on the web. I could not get my brain to spit that term out the other day when I posted.
            Two useful music sites: Tuning & Tuners...and one on Nikon

Comment

One thing you quickly learn is that mac's have a lot of stuff built in them, that window's machines don't. (And you quickly find out that you don't want to be without them ever again.) And they don't have a lot of JUNKWARE waiting to screw up the OS.

Comment

Things I didn't expect from my Macbook Pro. Backlit keyboard for use in the dark. Led back lighting for the screen. (Friend today asked me why my macbook screen looked so much better than his windows laptop. And it did.) Great battery management. I've gotten 11 hours use on battery power once. (Although 7+ hours is closer to normal for me. 3+ for intensive games.) And it seldom gets very hot. (A laptop you can actually put in your lap.)

Comment

I own both a Windows 7 machine (fairly new) and my trusty 20" Imac and there is a difference - I feel the Mac is a much more QUALITY machine in the long run and I never have issues with it that I experience at times with the Windows box. Recording is always a joy with my Mac - whereas with my Windows box it's so-so... I still contend the Macs are the CADILLACS of computers. They cost more for a reason and I believe they're worth every penny. It's hard NOT to be a fanboi if you own one.
                  I tell them young boys all the time "There's 2 things you really need to be a "bluesman" - Percodan and Whiskey"

Comment

Are Cadillacs considered good cars again? Some friends of my parents took their Caddy to Rolling Rock Farms for an event. (That's the Scafe/Mellon private country club in Pennsylvania. I worked there one summer while in High School.) Dorothy's comment was the car wasn't classy enough. (Mrs R.K.Mellon had an Excaliber SS then. You'll probably have to look it up.) If they had owned a Bentley it would have fit right in. (He was a pilot for Allegheny Airlines which became US Air back then.) They did have a 60s Mercedes sports car. (This was about the late 60s or early 70s.)

Comment

now, the question looks like which mac to get to run what i need to do??

Here's what I am thinking:
                      iMac
                      21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
                      4GB memory
                      1TB hard drive
                      8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
                      ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
                      Built-in iSight camera

Digi Design 003 Factory or Cubase and Daw Controller?
                      www.fisttothesky.com

Comment

That's a good one.

Comment

now, the question looks like which mac to get to run what i need to do??

Here's what I am thinking:
                          iMac
                          21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
                          4GB memory
                          1TB hard drive
                          8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
                          ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
                          Built-in iSight camera

Digi Design 003 Factory or Cubase and Daw Controller?

Chances are you may want a 7200rpm external HD.

If you're brave, like I am, look for the computer on eBay. I just won a 17" MacBook Pro. Other than that go to Amazon.com (that's where I got my last MBP in '08), save a few bucks and no sales tax.
                          http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

If you go with an external drive, get a firewire one. Even a firewire 400 drive was handling 16 channels of digital recording without drops. I couldn't do that on USB 2 (480 bursts, but only 1/3 as good on throughput.) I'm also sure that there are firewire 800 drives out there now. Sounds like a good project. Have fun!

Comment

And it seldom gets very hot. (A laptop you can actually put in your lap.)

What macbook pro do you have? Mine is a small furnace, particularly when on AC.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              "Vaginas are nice, but I wouldn't trade my balls for one." - boxorox

Comment

Working...
                              X