No announcement yet.

Mac OSX Lion.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OSX Lion.

Just spotted a preview for Lion. Well, not much of a preview but it looks like the App store is coming to the Mac in a sort of iPhone/Touch/Pad way..

Hmm.. I wonder if that means lots of cheap apps for the Mac? I quite like the idea of that in many ways as being an iPhone owner, I get a lot out of all those cheap apps.

That said. The user base for Mac's is much smaller than the above mentioned devices although there are a lot more Mac's out there these days..!

Rimmer
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

makes sense for Apple to try to entice a chunk of those iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad owners into buying Mac computers.
    More tea, vicar?

Comment

I think it can encourage more development. The Mac has plenty of good apps already, but it's still far from overcrowded. Right now, a shareware developer can easily get lost in the vastness of the web. A more reliable way of directing eyeballs to your products can only help.
      Two useful music sites: Tuning & Tuners...and one on Nikon

Comment

I think it can encourage more development. The Mac has plenty of good apps already, but it's still far from overcrowded. Right now, a shareware developer can easily get lost in the vastness of the web. A more reliable way of directing eyeballs to your products can only help.

Yep. It is a more direct way of exhibiting your products. I've never felt pushed in to buying anything from the App store, which is a system I like a lot. There is a sense of sincerity about it which is the right way to market something to me.

The big issue will be the prices of the products on the Mac. Some of the 59p (99c) items in the iPhone/Pad/Touch store will probably cost a lot more on the larger screen Mac. I wonder whether this is fair or not. We shall see I suppose..!
        "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

I'm looking to get a 13" MBP in a few weeks time. When will Lion be available as an upgrade on these Macs? Any idea of the cost?

Comment

I'm looking to get a 13" MBP in a few weeks time. When will Loin be available as an upgrade on these Macs? Any idea of the cost?

You can never be too sure about when these OS's are really going to be released but it's slated as being a summer 2011 release.

Its very hard to buy a Mac if you end up waiting to buy closer to the release date the latest OSX release. It's sort of not worth it considering the price of OSX isn't a back breaker and you may not really want to bother anyways..

I hold back on Apple hardware purchases until traditional release times as they like to keep these things very secret which can be a pain.

Comment

I haven't upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard yet. I don't worry too much about keeping up with the latest version until something needs it or I see a "must have" feature in it. All the recent Mac OS releases are so solid that there's not much need to keep up from a stability standpoint.
              Two useful music sites: Tuning & Tuners...and one on Nikon

Comment

I'll bite the bullet. If it comes out 6 months down the road I'll just upgrade then. Need to get my MBP

Comment

Snow Leopard is the lowest cost update (I have ever heard of) under $30.00
                  I never saw Leopard by itself, but Snow Leopard is pretty cool
                  and Apple is usually off target meeting Operating System Updates (*but if they get it worked out on the Ipads, they may meet the Summer-Fall 2011
                  mark) They were a year off in releasing a new Ilife from 09 to version 11
                  so its a coin toss I guess?

David
                  dwwave
                  dwwave

Comment

and Apple is usually off target meeting Operating System Updates (*but if they get it worked out on the Ipads, they may meet the Summer-Fall 2011

David
                    dwwave

Snow leopard was a weird one as I think it was cheap as it was an optimisation of 10.5 rather than a new system. The fact they mainly built it to take the PPC element out of OSX should really have meant it should have been a freebie.

Agreed on the variety of release dates for new Apple Os's. I've always been a bit scared to jump on the newest version at it has the chance of disabling a lot of my peripherals..

Comment

Just waiting for a check to clear then I'm off to Apple store to get me my MBP Aluminum 13" Bought another WD 1TB internal HD to put in it as soon as I get it.

Comment

Just waiting for a check to clear then I'm off to Apple store to get me my MBP Aluminum 13" Bought another WD 1TB internal HD to put in it as soon as I get it.

Cool...! Is the HD your putting in it removable? They are on the 15.4's but I wasn't sure about the 13" MBP's. Nice computer..!

Rimmer

Comment

Yup all the unibodies have easy access to the hard drive even 13". I thought I would upgrade immediately, then there is less chance of something going tits up and losing all your precious work etc.

Comment

David
                            dwwave

Snow Leopard was also to move the OS to a 64 bit mode. As a result it's slightly faster on the same hardware.

Comment

Working...
                            X