No announcement yet.

Interface for Macbook Pro

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interface for Macbook Pro

I have a Tascam US 144 working well with a Sony Vaio notebook. I am looking at getting a new notebook soon and will probably get a Macbook Pro to see what all the fuss is about.

However it seems almost certain that I will face headaches trying to get the US144 and a MBP to work in perfect harmony.

I could spend a month hassling Tascam, trawling the Net looking for drivers and configuring workarounds. I haven't got the time or patience for that. I would rather spend my time earning $ buy a new interface that I can plug straight into a MBP and bang, every audio system on the MBP works in concert with the interface straight away. I would also like to take the same inteface and be able to plug it back into my Vaio when I want if possible.

Any suggestions? $ in the ballpark of the US144. I would like to keep the US144 but I feel it would not be worth the damage to my mental health and lost time trying to make it work with a MBP.
    '76 Explorer, R7, '60 CS Strat
    JMP100 MV, Mesa DR, Roland JC60
    4 x 12 JCM900, 4x12 Recto

Tascam has updated drivers (aug '10) for Snow Leopard 10.6 for free download on the company website.
    http://tascam.com/product/us-144mkii/downloads/

One of your links says the 2.0 driver cleared up his issues, and the other is a discussion taking place in 2009, well before the current driver was released.

Unless you find complaints about the current driver, I'd say you are good to go.
    Two useful music sites: Tuning & Tuners...and one on Nikon

Comment

One of your links says the 2.0 driver cleared up his issues, and the other is a discussion taking place in 2009, well before the current driver was released.

Unless you find complaints about the current driver, I'd say you are good to go.

Yeah. That was confusing me until you mentioned the above. Doesn't sound like an issue to me...
      "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

I'd be surprised if your Tascam didn't work just fine but I've always had a preference for firewire interfaces.

I use a Line 6 KB37, Presonus FP10, Hercules 16/12 and Apogee Duet all with my MBP running 10.6. It took a while for Line 6 to get it together with new drivers but they made it.

All but the Duet also work just fine on my PC as well. The only area where I have problems on the mac are when I try to record S/PDIF.

The DAW programs I run are Logic Pro 9, Digital Performer 6.03, Reason 5/Record 1.5 and Ableton Live 8.
        http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

At around $200, with some bargaining, I'd say go for either a Focusrite Saffire or the TC Electronics Konnekt.
          You definitely want to go with a firewire unit on a macbook pro.

Comment

Working...
          X