Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the i5 better than the dual 2 core processor for recording?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the i5 better than the dual 2 core processor for recording?

I want a Macbook pro for recording. Who doesn't want the latest and greatest tech out there. But money is tight and Im trying to decide if I want to spend the extra cash on the macbook pro 15" that has the i5 processer. Though the 13" would save me some money and it has a dual 2 core. As far as recording goes, because this computer will be solely for that purpose are they that much different. I have read the dual 2 core will be outdated in some time. Screen size isn't far off, same 4 GB memory, and same drive space. Plus I could use the money I save on the 13" maybe to get up to 8 GB. Or will the i5 make all the difference here are the specs.

13-inch: 2.66GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB Memory
    320GB hard drive1
    SD card slot
    Built-in battery (10 hours)
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
    $1,499.00

15-inch: 2.4GHz
    Intel Core i5
    4GB Memory
    320GB hard drive1
    SD card slot
    Built-in battery (8-9 hour)
    Intel HD Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB

$1,799.00

any advice?

Your question doesn't make sense, the i5 in the new Macbooks is a dual core CPU.

If you are asking is it more powerful than the previous generation of Core2duo cpus the answer is yes.

G-Dub
    www.studiog-fx.com
    15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
    OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Im agree with Gdoubleyou! the i5 is more poverful.
      but... oyu cant feel it.
      so... I take the first Mac!

Comment

i would like to know this as well.
        www.fisttothesky.com

Comment

You will only notice the benefit of the i5 when rendering and producing videos but for music production a Core2Duo will do the job for you.

Art
          Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha DX7S, Roland Juno 106, Korg Triton LE, Korg R3, Roland D50, Kawai K4, Kawai K5000r, Yamaha EX7, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroKorg, Korg Micro X, Casio HT700, Casio CZ101, Casio VZ1, Casio VZ8M, Roland JV90, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha TG77, Korg 05R/W, Roland JD800, Yamaha DX100, Waldorf Blofeld, Apple MacBook Pro, iMac i5 Quad Core, Logic Pro 9, Propellerhead Reason 4

Comment

Exact same question I have. I've never owned any Apple product. I have a DAW running Reaper via a Vaio laptop and I connect my axes via a Tascam US144 interface.

Would like to try Logic and Apple. Would the base model 13" MBP have enough horsepower to run Logic properly?

13-inch: 2.4GHz
            Intel Core 2 Duo
            4GB Memory
            250GB hard drive
            SD card slot
            Built-in battery (10 hours)
            NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

I want to be sure I don't just undercook the specs of my MBP. The base model pushes the budget at the moment so if you think I really should get more computing power I will wait and save my $ until I can do it right. I could do this all a lot cheaper down the Windows route, but I've got to see what all the fuss is about regarding Macs and Logic.

Probably running up to around 12 - 18 tracks maximum (I'm fairly new to DAW based composition) including recorded guitar and vocals plus soft beats and keys. Would Logic Express do this job adequately? I am guessing I would get Logic Express and then upgrade to Logic Pro when I find I need the extra functionality. Unless of course Logic Pro has functionality that even relative newbs can start to take advantage of immediately (as against Logic Pro just allowing for more tracks etc).

Some say I should have a 7200 rpm HD. Others say it does not matter. The 7200 rpm HD is not an option in the 13" MBPs. I have also heard that the 13" screen is just too small to run Logic nicely.

The 15" with a 7200 rpm HD is a lot more coin than the base 13". Is it really worth it?
            '76 Explorer, R7, '60 CS Strat
            JMP100 MV, Mesa DR, Roland JC60
            4 x 12 JCM900, 4x12 Recto

Comment

Working...
            X