Quad Vs 8 Core, and other questions

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Vs 8 Core, and other questions

Hey everyone.

I'm starting to research rebuilding my studio, and have decided to stick with Mac and Logic 7 (i guess I might upgrade to 8).

Anyway some questions.

I plan on using high quality sample plugins. Especially a lot of the eastwest orchestra, piano type stuff which takes up a lot of RAM. Essentially, everything I do in logic, will be plug in based top to bottom, except for if I need to add in guitars/bass or my andromeda a6, which is all i need for analogue synth stuff.

With that said, I noticed there is a new 8 core mac out. Its REALLY expensive.

So I'm wondering, is it even neccesary to buy one? Or do you think a Quad core would do me good?

Here's some examples of price.

One 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    8GB (4x2GB)
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
    $3,600

Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    8GB (4x2GB)
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
    $6,300

As you can see that is a huge jump in price. From what I've heard, most software cant even utilize the power of this hardware yet, and it could be a waste of money.

Can you please help me with what you think I would need to run logic with a lot of plugins, and compose to video as well? I dont want to overspend on my CPU just for the sake of having the best. I want something productive and frugal.

I'd say if you can afford it, go for the 8 core. Logic will be able to utilize all 8 cores and it will have a longer useful life than the single proc machine. But... don't get your RAM and hard drive upgrades from Apple. $100 for an extra 2 gigs of RAM and another $100 for under 400 gigs of HD space is ridiculous. Also, if you're looking to save a few dollars, I would sooner get lower processor speed than fewer cores. If you're using Logic and a ton of different plugins, the software should be more efficient by being able to spread processing load across the extra cores. My 2ยข.
    Spam:
    I got nothin'.
    Good deals: Jules-RM; teleblaster

Comment

Or - try to find a last-gen Dual Quad Core 2.8Ghz. I got mine from Smalldog Computing with 10GB of RAM for about $3500.

Comment

Or - try to find a last-gen Dual Quad Core 2.8Ghz. I got mine from Smalldog Computing with 10GB of RAM for about $3500.

Decided to get a new gen 2.93ghz Quad Core after researching all the specs and stuff.

6k is just too much for a comp. I'm not running a dang pro tools studio or anything.

So yha, thats what I decided on. After figuring the costs of soft synths and all other kinds of stuff though, I still decided to hold off until money is more managable. I could buy it right now with everything, but . . . . eh would prob be a bad move. Need some buffer in my account lol.

Comment

Working...
        X