X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best free MIDI sequencer for Mac?

Maybe no one knows, but I am looking for a MIDI sequencer to use in my downtime at work. It isn't worth it to pay for something to use so scarcely, and I can't install my sequencer from home at work because of os differences, so hence the free part.

So far, the only one I have been able to find is "MidiSwing," but it is a clunky interface and it is a little buggy (but has been appreciated so far). I bet there is something better, but I haven't come across it yet. VSTi support would be great, but I think I am dreaming on that one.

Garage Band

G-Dub
    www.studiog-fx.com
    15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
    OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Whoa, you know, I didn't realize it, but we do have it on the computer. That solves that! Thanks.

Comment

Ah, new challenge! Garage Band doesn't export MIDI... I'd like to be able to "take my work home."

Although I have found a couple other free ones, I would still be interested to hear of anyone's free sequencer of choice, as the ones I have found don't do VSTi's well, or at all.

Comment

chetwesley: Garageband *should* support MIDI.......What version are you running on your Mac? I have used GB2 and GB3 on my Macs, and both versions fully support my MIDI keyboard and I can see MIDI the signal indicator in Garageband. As far as a free sequencer goes, I have been looking for another one to play around with, myself. :^) With GB2 & GB3, there are a number of companies that offer some excellent AU's (audio units). They are sound-bank plug-ins that you can open up in GB. I use some by reFx: Vanguard and Nexus. Hope this helps you in some little way. Take care!

-Boris Luxx

Comment

Ah, new challenge! Garage Band doesn't export MIDI... I'd like to be able to "take my work home."

Although I have found a couple other free ones, I would still be interested to hear of anyone's free sequencer of choice, as the ones I have found don't do VSTi's well, or at all.

GB does export. If you go to SAVE AS. There is an option to archive the project so you can move it to another machine. I personally have only ever seen the box 'greyed out' though. Not sure if that's just me or not..

Logic Express is virtually being given away at the current price, IMO. I know it's a cash lay out that you may not want to be bothering with at the moment but you do get a 'hell of a lot' for your money, including exporting of audio or midi, or both..

Rimmer
            <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Working...
            X