X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to get a MacPro... Is it worth the money to get the dual 2.66GHz

vs the dual 2.0?

in for a penny in for a pound i guess, but not if the speed bump is negligible... Anyone?

vs the dual 2.0?

in for a penny in for a pound i guess, but not if the speed bump is negliable... Anyone?

There are VERY few applications nowadays where processor speed is the bottleneck. For word processing, spreadsheets, etc. it doesn't matter. For anything involving the internet, your connection speed is what matters. Even for audio, whether you are recording using USB2 or FireWre 400 or FireWire 800 would matter a lot more.

I would consider it if you are doing video editing or are a high speed action gamer - even then the graphics card would be more important, but every bit of performance helps.

For the vast majority, increasing memory would have more of an impact on performance than increasing processor speed (and both can always be upgraded).
    Dexter fans, check out The DexterCast podcast on iTunes or www.thedextercast.com. Two hosts have seen Dexter, two are watching for the first time.

Comment

I'm new here! Hi

I am also looking to do the same thing, as my Powerbook G4 seems to slow for a lot of VSTi or other CPU intensive music making and graphics work.

I'm also wondering if the 2.0 would be better for the money if it can run most things the 2.6? can anyway.

Comment

I'm new here! Hi

I am also looking to do the same thing, as my Powerbook G4 seems to slow for a lot of VSTi or other CPU intensive music making and graphics work.

I'm also wondering if the 2.0 would be better for the money if it can run most things the 2.6? can anyway.

I ended up getting the 2.66--but still waiting on my DP software so I wont be able to test it quite yet. It's a great machine though I have to say. Takes about 2 minutes to set up.

Comment

There are VERY few applications nowadays where processor speed is the bottleneck.

With the exception of graphics applications, video and/or 3D rendering, audio applications which rely heavily on host-based plugins (reverbs, delays, EQ, softsynths, samplers, etc.)....

In other words, I completely disagree with this statement.

It is true that a balance between disk speed/space, RAM and processor speed is always better than loading up on one and skimping on the others. But if you're using a host-based DAW, faster processors will never go unused.

I would say that a 2GHz machine with 4GB of RAM would be a better choice than a 2.66GHz machine with 2GB of RAM. 1GB of RAM is the bare minimum, and with Leopard around the corner 4GB should be the entry point for any serious audio geeks.

Comment

Get the fastest processor you can, especially with Leopard around the corner. I have the both the Pro and the Macbook Pro and there are songs that can't be mixed on the laptop (2.4 ghz, 4gb ram) that can be mixed on the Pro (3.0 ghz, 4gb ram). I use Logic and some intensive Waves plugins and the only difference between the 2 systems is the processors and graphics cards, and I don't think the graphics card is making a monstrous difference.
            Marshall Jefferson, Generations Of House, live string, live horn loops+++

http://www.loopmasters.com/samplesho...uctCode=LMAS04

Comment

I love mine and highly recomend it to anyone on the fence about buying one.

I have the dual 2.66 ghz xeon with 5 gigs of ram and 2 TB of storage. I like being able to do lots of things at once. Say, running AIM and mail in the background while still maintaining respectable levels of available CPU for Logic Studio.
              Mac Pro - 2.66gHz X 4 - 3.5TB internal storage - 13 GB of RAM - 3 22" Widescreen LCD Displays

Comment

Working...
              X