Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutorials for Using GarageBand/MIDI Files Live?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorials for Using GarageBand/MIDI Files Live?

As a keyboardist, mainly as a live performer, I would like to try out getting some standard MIDI files of pop songs, putting them into GarageBand, edit out everything except the bass and drum parts, maybe a few pads, and play the keyboard parts live.

Can MIDI files even be done in GB and could I just use my iBook G4 MIDI USB's to my MIDI keyboard and perform live, or do I have to buy some expensive program like Logic Pro or ProTools?

Any links to tutorials for an absolute newbie is appreciated

Thanks katt

As a keyboardist, mainly as a live performer, I would like to try out getting some standard MIDI files of pop songs, putting them into GarageBand, edit out everything except the bass and drum parts, maybe a few pads, and play the keyboard parts live.

Can MIDI files even be done in GB and could I just use my iBook G4 MIDI USB's to my MIDI keyboard and perform live, or do I have to buy some expensive program like Logic Pro or ProTools?

Any links to tutorials for an absolute newbie is appreciated

Thanks katt

Get Midi File. Drag on to empty space in garageband song. Should import all the instruments with names. Depends to some extent on the midi file and where you get them from. Some of them have copywrite as well (I gather..) but I have managed to extract a working version (for GB) by using Quicktime. Last resort if you can't find a usable version anywhere..

Mute the instruments you don't want and then you can spend your time changing the instruments and adding your own stuff..

Rimmer
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Hi, I'm John from Hit Trax.

Tip - Consider using Logic Express instead of GarageBand.  Logic has editor windows like Events, Notation and so forth that make editing fast and easy.

Cheers, John
      Hit Trax
      www.HitTraxMIDI.com

Cheers, John<br>Hit Trax MIDI Files<br>www.HitTraxMIDI.com

Comment

Working...
      X