X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pro tools freezing up my mac

Hi. I am aware that this is quite a broad question with many possibilities. But if you could help narrow down this problem id be very happy.

My 001 rig and Mac G3 arent getting along, the computer is 'freezing' sometimes within 30 seconds of launching LE. sometimes i can get a good half hour of use before this happens. (usually without having saved the session )

btw-what is the mac version of the control/alt/delete command??

thanks!
    <div class="signaturecontainer">You will undergo a crisis of faith when your preist cannot explain to you why everyone at the Last Supper was on one side of the table.</div>

Hi,

I'm on a G4 Powerbook with an Mbox, but I had the same problem. It turned out that The version of pro-Tools wasn't compatible with the OS and would actaully crash the OS with a manual restart required!

The Mac equivalent of "Control-Alt-Delete" is "Apple-Alt-Esc" which will help you force quit Applications that have frozen. If your OS has crashed this wont help and you'll need to manually shut-down (hold down the power button for about 5 seconds)

So go check out the Digi website to find out which v. of pro tools works with your os (Tiger needs ProTools 7).

I'm up and running again with no problems.. aside from the hole in my pocket.

Comment

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I'm certain i checked compatability before setting up the rig.

Specs are OS 9.2 and PT/LE 5.1
      <div class="signaturecontainer">You will undergo a crisis of faith when your preist cannot explain to you why everyone at the Last Supper was on one side of the table.</div>

Comment

Originally posted by the shiznit
        Hi. I am aware that this is quite a broad question with many possibilities. But if you could help narrow down this problem id be very happy.

How right you are ! It sounds like a Extension Conflict causedc by the digi Audio Extension ( forget exactly what it's called) and other extension ,some of which shouldnt even be in your active extensions folder.

First off which model Mac? Next, are you using either of USB or Firewire with it, and have you installed any PCI cards or add-ons to it?
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
        </font></font><font size="2"><br />
        </font></div>

Comment

thanks MM. I'm running a G3 with a newly formatted HD. 512 ram. only the OS 9.2 and a some bits and pieces like toast and quicktime sofware. PT/LE 5.1. Not using any usb or firewire connections. This mac is dedicated to recording/mixing audio only (i thought this would be a good way to get a stable recording computer 'sheesh'.) please help

Comment

So somebody told me I may have an 'extentions conflict'. But when I try to open the extentions manager in the control panel, i get an error type 2 message and im told to re-start. any ideas?

Comment

1. Add more RAM.
              2. Upgrade to at least PTle 5.2.1, you'll gain a more stable platform and 32 tracks vs 24.
              Rebuild desktop. (Hold down option and apple while starting up until you hear the startup chimes 3x. Do this weekly.
              3. Defrag your audio and system drives. (Mac Care Unit has utilities to do this very well)
              4. If you're not, install a second physical drive for your PT sessions to reside on.

Force quit for macs is apple-option-escape.

Most likely you have an extensions or control panel conflict. Get Conflict Catcher for OS9. It will resolve your extension or control panel conflict.

Comment

I'm not going to have time to do this til tomorrow,but I'll post pics in this thread of my Unused Extensions folder on the OS9 Mac. . You can use this as a guide for removing unnecessary junk from your own Extensions folder and save you from buying Conflict Catcher.

By the way, do you have Virtual Memory turned off? It should be off. Apple Talk and File Sharing should also be off.

I'll get those pics here tomorrow.You'll be surprised at how much **************** you can clean out of there.

</font></div>

Comment

Why wait for pics tomorrow when you can do this today?

While starting up your Mac, hold the spacebar down. This will result in the Extensions Manager loading. From the pop-up menu of extensions sets, choose Mac OS 9.1 base, and click continue. When your Mac finishes booting, go to the Apple menu-->Control Panels and launch Extensions Manager. Now, sort the extensions by name, and turn on the extensions for Digidesign and OMS. When you click to turn on the first extension, you will get a prompt about having to create a duplicate set because the Mac OS 9.1 base set is locked. I would name this set Mac OS 9.1 base+PT. Once you have turned on all of the Digidesign and OMS extensions, restart your Mac. If you can launch Pro Tools without incident, then you have resolved your extension conflict. If you wish to find which extension caused your grief, you will have to go through the tedious process of turning some one, restarting, seeing if things work, etc.

Good luck!
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNT<br><br>Vice-Chairman, NY section, AES<br><br>Apple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5), Support Professional (v10.6 and v10.7)</div>

Comment

I'm a little late with these.
                    Anyway, here's some pics of the Extensions I disabled in the OS9 machine by creating a folder and sticking them in.
                    You can just create a folder called Extensions-Unused and leave it in the same folder as the Extensions folder.

Your mileage may vary...there's no guarantee that what is the best setup on one machine is right for another.
                    </font></div>

Comment

Next one...
                      </font></div>

Comment

I also disabled some Control Panels. You'll note that Extension Manager is one of them. I stuck them into a folder called Control Panels-Unused.

As I recall, Extension Manager caused as many problems as it solved.
                        </font></div>

Comment

thanks everyone for the input and the screenshots. you guys are the best! I will check back in when i try out these suggestions over the weekend. THANKS!!

Comment

Working...
                          X