No announcement yet.

CPU overload problems!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU overload problems!

I have a G5 1.8 iMac with 768RAM and am using Logic Express and Garageband. With both I cannot get more than 4 or 5 tracks at a time without it saying CPU overload. I have tried optimizing CPU and locking tracks but it still won't work.

I don't understand its not like I want 64 tracks, Id be happy with 8. I had 3 tracks with loops, 1 with guitar through a Presonus Inspire and Guitar ig plugin and one with midi controller playing software instrument.

Is there a less powerhungry recording application?

Should I invest in more RAM or external hard drive ?

Originally posted by mazza_lives
    I have a G5 1.8 iMac with 768RAM and am using Logic Express and Garageband. With both I cannot get more than 4 or 5 tracks at a time without it saying CPU overload. I have tried optimizing CPU and locking tracks but it still won't work.

I don't understand its not like I want 64 tracks, Id be happy with 8. I had 3 tracks with loops, 1 with guitar through a Presonus Inspire and Guitar ig plugin and one with midi controller playing software instrument.

Is there a less powerhungry recording application?

Should I invest in more RAM or external hard drive ?

You should get a load more than that. I have played reasonably extensively with both GB and Logic Express on a G5 1.6 gig iMac and it's capable of way more than that. The iMac G5's have 7200rpm drives internally as well so although an external is a much better option, it shouldn't be that cripple..

Other people here could help.

Rimmer
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Wel I was adivised to unplug my Firewire interface (Presonus Inspire) and it seems to have worked fine meaning I could play a song in both Logic and GB simlataneosly without a problem.

My challenge now is to get my Firewire interface working properly wihtout draining my system. I was advised to downgrade to 10.4.2 from 10.4.3 but Im not sure how I do that and if that is the best option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Are you using Logic and GB at the same time?

If so, how come?

Comment

No. I only did that to make a point when I tested my computer without the Inspire. I was curious to see how much it could take but usallu I only run one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by mazza_lives
            No. I only did that to make a point when I tested my computer without the Inspire. I was curious to see how much it could take but usallu I only run one at a time.

What are your buffer settings with the audio interface?

Rimmer
            "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

It's a bug that exists with many firewire audio interfaces (ex: Presonus Firebox, Ediro FA 101, etc.).

In fact, there is a problem with the Apple FireWire Audio driver, built into MacOSX, that manages all these "Class Compliant" Firewire interfaces.

Let's hope it will be resolved with Leopard.

Comment

Start with much more RAM - load the machine with as much RAM as you can afford. Still, you should be getting better track counts than that.
                "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Band promo shots on railroad tracks were cool in 1981...

Comment

Working...
                X