X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Help!

Something has been seriously wrong with my setup for a long time now and I really need a pro to help me troubleshoot and get things working. I have poured a lot of money into getting things together, and fixing gear damaged by my undiagnosed problem. Where can I go for hands on audio setup help with Apple stuff? Can Sweetwater do something like this?

symptoms
    -My powerbook emits a LOUD acoustic noise when plugged in and connected to my firepod.
    -The direct lines into my firepod have a quiet hum that stops when I touch the firepod. Mild shock felt.
    -Layla 24 was somehow fried when plugged into the powerbook. Out for repair now (prompted me to buy firepod).
    -If I plug something tube based into my firepod setup they tubes soon need to be replaced. I know this sounds weird, but the setup seems to fry things somehow. 2 tube mics and a pre have been serviced from damage.
    -Bad clicks and pops, dropouts when recording... I have blamed this on 512 mb ram and recording onto the internal disc.

I need some serious help... where to go? Ebay?

It sounds like you need to get that thing into a repair shop ASAP.

It sounds like a serious electrical problem of some sort if it's destroying everything you plug into it..
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
    </font></font><font size="2"><br />
    </font></div>

Comment

would it more likely be the powerbook or the firepod you think? I know my powerbook is a little sketchy from the buzzing noise it makes... I'm just not sure where I should bet my money. It's hard to pinpoint what is doing the damage. I'm sure it's happening though! I forgot to mention that port1 on my firewire drive doesn't work anymore either, so I'm think that the defective PMU is spiking things in someway. This all sounds crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by CactusArm
        I forgot to mention that port1 on my firewire drive doesn't work anymore either, so I'm think that the defective PMU is spiking things in someway. This all sounds crazy!

Yeah, I think somehow the wrong kind of power is intermittenly getting in your firewire cables and causing havoc.

Unfortunstely, it doesnt sound like something you can repair yourself.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
        </font></font><font size="2"><br />
        </font></div>

Comment

It also sounds like you have a grounding/electrical problem. The voltage from firewire and USB cannot damage equipment. (Unless you have misswired cables, highly unlikely)

I suggest some power conditioning, depending on your neighborhood/building actual voltage may vary.

Does your interface still make the hum when disconnected from the PB?

Are you located near high power lines, other electronic interference? TV/radio stations.

Nothing other than bad power could damage vacum tubes.
          I think you need to call an electrician.

G-Dub
          www.studiog-fx.com
          15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
          OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

I'm trying to cover all bases here:
            -sending in Firepod to have it looked over.
            -setting up a repair for the powerbook to check out the motherboard / power management unit.
            -and on your recomendation, calling an electrician soon!

So, is it possible that the motherboard on the powerbook sends the wrong amount of electric to the firepod (I know this is a happening because the Presonus guys said I could bend back some firewire pins in the cable to stop my electric buzz!), the electric is going into my preamps and mics and causing trouble? The "genius" at the apple store said it was a definite possibility.

I bought the Firepod as a replacement for the Echo Layla I used to use, which died on this powerbook as well! Talk about a money pit.

Looks like I'm back to the handheld cassette recorder for the next few weeks!
            I appreciate your recomendations and thoughts. It's just good to know there's some other people out there, this sort of thing can really freak you out!

Comment

I doubt it's the Powerbook, it's not capable of putting out the voltage/current needed to do that type of damage.

But before that would ever happen your powerbook would be a glowing ember.

G-Dub
              www.studiog-fx.com
              15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
              OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Working...
              X