Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pro tools/powerbook help!

Recording up to 8 tracks at once (I haven't tried more) with my powerbook running protools seems to be no problem, though I need to do it with a hardware buffer size of 1024 and a CPU usage limit of 99%.

I feel sure this hardware should get results with a smaller buffer...

It's a new (as of dec '05) powerbook (1.67ghz), pro tools LE 6.9.2, 1GB of RAM (the new stuff), a seagate 7200RPM external HDD drive I've borrowed, which doesn't seem to make it much better than recording to the system disk.

My real problem, though, is that I can't even put a 4 band EQ on every track, let alone any reverbs or compression, etc. Shouldn't I be able to do that?

When I do, the computer pretty much always locks up and says:

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size in the playback engine panel.

Which, of course, I have done to the maximum I can.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Also, is there a checklist of things to do to your mac to make it run as well as it can.

I felt sure when I bought this gear that I should have no real problems with cpu/HHD/memory issues. Was I wrong?
    http://www.superkings.org

oh, and I'm using a digi002 rack.

Comment

Originally posted by djwrighty
      Recording up to 8 tracks at once (I haven't tried more) with my powerbook running protools seems to be no problem, though I need to do it with a hardware buffer size of 1024 and a CPU usage limit of 99%.

I feel sure this hardware should get results with a smaller buffer...

It's a new (as of dec '05) powerbook (1.67ghz), pro tools LE 6.9.2, 1GB of RAM (the new stuff), a seagate 7200RPM external HDD drive I've borrowed, which doesn't seem to make it much better than recording to the system disk.

My real problem, though, is that I can't even put a 4 band EQ on every track, let alone any reverbs or compression, etc. Shouldn't I be able to do that?

When I do, the computer pretty much always locks up and says:

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size in the playback engine panel.

Which, of course, I have done to the maximum I can.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Also, is there a checklist of things to do to your mac to make it run as well as it can.

I felt sure when I bought this gear that I should have no real problems with cpu/HHD/memory issues. Was I wrong?

Sounds wrong.. Hope someone can help...

Merry Christmas..

Rimmer
      "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

heh... thanks.

btw, do you mean:

wrong as in

"wrong to hope I wouldn't have problems"

"something's wrong if you're having performance issues of this kind"?

Comment

heh... thanks.

btw, do you mean:

wrong as in

"wrong to hope I wouldn't have problems"

"something's wrong if you're having performance issues of this kind"?

I would expect a lot more performance from your Mac, than you are getting. I can run more than that on my G4/400 and it's much slower than your laptop..

Rimmer
          "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Check in with Digi support, could be the power harness issue the 002 is famous for.

Comment

Have you checked your Energy Saver preferences and set the Processor Speed to "highest"? It might currently be on a lower setting.

You can run Activity Monitor to get an idea of what applications are using system RAM.

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys.

I'd pretty much done all that stuff above, apart from call Digi!

FYI, the new (after Oct 2005) powerbooks are not yet all tested and stuff.

The bottom line is that installing version 7 seems to sort out my problems, and they aim to have the new powerbooks totally compatible by the end of January... or at least report why not.

And I'm typing this while a tune plays out of pro tools in the background, whic is unprecedented!

I guess the answer is always just to plug away till you find the solution!

Cheers.

DJW

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys.

I'd pretty much done all that stuff above, apart from call Digi!

FYI, the new (after Oct 2005) powerbooks are not yet all tested and stuff.

The bottom line is that installing version 7 seems to sort out my problems, and they aim to have the new powerbooks totally compatible by the end of January... or at least report why not.

And I'm typing this while a tune plays out of pro tools in the background, whic is unprecedented!

I guess the answer is always just to plug away till you find the solution!

Cheers.

DJW

Cool. I hate when people think their powerbooks are too slow to do audio with..

Merry Christmas..!

Rimmer

Comment

Are your HD's formatted with Journaling on? In 6.9 it needs to be on. Also turn your record Allotment to a more reasonable time.

There is something wrong with your config....

So PT7 helped? Well, that makes sense because there was a disc Access problem w/ 6.9. Also, What version of Tiger? If 10.4.3 then there has been some reports of issues....

Go to the Digidesign User conference, and you'll get TONS of Help with this.

http://duc.digidesign.com/

I post there under the Chinese as well. There is a specific section for LE Users, so go checck it out!!!

-Todd A.
                    My Rig:

EAW LA325's (2)
                    EAW LA400's (4)
                    QSC PLX 3402 (2)
                    QSC PL1.8
                    QSC RMX 2450
                    Ashly ProTea 3.24c
                    Ashly ProTea 4.24G
                    EAW LA212 Monitors
                    JBL PRX-512M Monitors
                    Whole Lotta Cables

Comment

Thanks

Actually, since I put LE7 on, I've not had a single problem, and I can do mad stuff like watch telly on an eyeTV and write a DVD at the same time as doing audio playback stuff with plugins.

Not that I should be doing that, of course, but it's always amusing to push the system.

It's not "hit the wall" (is that the expression?) once.

Comment

Working...
                      X