X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor digital input on a G5?

Is there any way to monitor the digital input on a G5 running OS X? I just got a Tonelab and I can plug it in through my Tascam US-244, but I thought it'd be cool to take advantage of the Tonelab's SPDIF output. Sure enough, I can get a signal in the input panel in the System Preferences when I use an optical cable. And I can record a track in iMovie and listen back (but can't hear it while recording). Also, I can't record in GarageBand or hear the digital signal anywhere else.

Do I need to get digital speakers to hook up to the optical out? What about recording the digital stream? Do I need something better than GB?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://basementtraders.bandcamp.com/" target="_blank">basement traders</a></div>

Originally posted by roygbiv
    Is there any way to monitor the digital input on a G5 running OS X? I just got a Tonelab and I can plug it in through my Tascam US-244, but I thought it'd be cool to take advantage of the Tonelab's SPDIF output. Sure enough, I can get a signal in the input panel in the System Preferences when I use an optical cable. And I can record a track in iMovie and listen back (but can't hear it while recording). Also, I can't record in GarageBand or hear the digital signal anywhere else.

Do I need to get digital speakers to hook up to the optical out? What about recording the digital stream? Do I need something better than GB?

I can play with all sorts of routing through the software that comes with the RME Hammerfall cards. Maybe your solution is in the Tascams driver software..

Rimmer
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Good suggestion. I see that the Tascam setup app has some options. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://basementtraders.bandcamp.com/" target="_blank">basement traders</a></div>

Comment

Working...
      X