X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor digital input on a G5?

Is there any way to monitor the digital input on a G5 running OS X? I just got a Tonelab and I can plug it in through my Tascam US-244, but I thought it'd be cool to take advantage of the Tonelab's SPDIF output. Sure enough, I can get a signal in the input panel in the System Preferences when I use an optical cable. And I can record a track in iMovie and listen back (but can't hear it while recording). Also, I can't record in GarageBand or hear the digital signal anywhere else.

Do I need to get digital speakers to hook up to the optical out? What about recording the digital stream? Do I need something better than GB?
    basement traders

Originally posted by roygbiv
    Is there any way to monitor the digital input on a G5 running OS X? I just got a Tonelab and I can plug it in through my Tascam US-244, but I thought it'd be cool to take advantage of the Tonelab's SPDIF output. Sure enough, I can get a signal in the input panel in the System Preferences when I use an optical cable. And I can record a track in iMovie and listen back (but can't hear it while recording). Also, I can't record in GarageBand or hear the digital signal anywhere else.

Do I need to get digital speakers to hook up to the optical out? What about recording the digital stream? Do I need something better than GB?

I can play with all sorts of routing through the software that comes with the RME Hammerfall cards. Maybe your solution is in the Tascams driver software..

Rimmer
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Good suggestion. I see that the Tascam setup app has some options. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
      basement traders

Comment

Working...
      X