Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is AIF always AIF????

I have the following question.
    I am using an audio editing program for mastering. I do not wish to share the name of the product because I am giving the company the chance to respond and analyze my files, and do not want to damage the company by undeserved remarks.
    My problem is the following. I notice that sometimes, iTunes does not open AIF files (24b, 44.1kHz) which I have saved in this non-Apple sound applicaton. I wonder if somehow, there is more than one convention for AIF or whether the convention has changed over the years?
    Do any other users have experiences suggesting a slight lack of standards for AIF or other sound file formats?
    I am working in OSX.4.2.
    Thank you,
    ES; :wave:
    <div class="signaturecontainer">EveningSky</div>

Itunes won't open any file that is 24 bit, it's 16 bit only.

Comment

Hi Where...,
      Thank you for your input, but that is not my experience.
      iTunes can deal with 24b and 16b AIF files, but only 16b wav files.
      I also miswrote my original post.
      I have this problem with 16b AIF files as well. Not all, but sometimes, and I do not understand it.
      Have any other readers had a problem with tran-app differences of standard music file formats?
      Yours,
      ES
      <div class="signaturecontainer">EveningSky</div>

Comment

Open the files with Quicktime, get the real info, and convert if you have to.

G-Dub
        www.studiog-fx.com
        15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
        OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

There is AIF and AIFC (compressed). The extension will not tell you this. Get Info or use a file type utility.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Seek first to understand, then to be understood.&quot;</div>

Comment

Working...
          X