X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garageband Questions

Hey all, just got a new iMAC G5 w/applecare - LOVE IT!!! I've been staying up late every night getting myself acquainted with all the software and finding it relatively easy to use. I have a few questions....

1. I'm wanting to know if GB is compatible with other recording formats? Reason being that I'll be working on a project (somtime late Jan. early Feb.) where all of the band members are in different states. Specifically, I'll be recording my drum tracks into GB (no more than 8 tracks) everyone else will be using either Protools, Logic or Cubase.

2. Is it possible to export all eight tracks into a different recording forum, while (in theory) still being able to have control to all eight tracks individually?

3. Is it possible to import individual tracks from protools into GB?

4. Lastly, anyone had experience using Dynaudio reference monitors, Presonus interface, M-audio iControl?

These are some possible selections I'll be adding to my recording set-up. I'd like to get the Presonus interface with 8 XLR / Mic Pre. The iControl for just sheer convenience - plus it's cheap. And the Dynaudio monitors sounded amazing. How about cable preferences?

Thanks a mill....

Originally posted by EcHoplex
    Hey all, just got a new iMAC G5 w/applecare - LOVE IT!!! I've been staying up late every night getting myself acquainted with all the software and finding it relatively easy to use. I have a few questions....

1. I'm wanting to know if GB is compatible with other recording formats? Reason being that I'll be working on a project (somtime late Jan. early Feb.) where all of the band members are in different states. Specifically, I'll be recording my drum tracks into GB (no more than 8 tracks) everyone else will be using either Protools, Logic or Cubase.

2. Is it possible to export all eight tracks into a different recording forum, while (in theory) still being able to have control to all eight tracks individually?

3. Is it possible to import individual tracks from protools into GB?

4. Lastly, anyone had experience using Dynaudio reference monitors, Presonus interface, M-audio iControl?

These are some possible selections I'll be adding to my recording set-up. I'd like to get the Presonus interface with 8 XLR / Mic Pre. The iControl for just sheer convenience - plus it's cheap. And the Dynaudio monitors sounded amazing. How about cable preferences?

Thanks a mill....

I think GB saves as AIF files so you should be able to chuck them the indivdual files. This is of course a bit hit and miss as lining them up in various DAW's may be a pain.

If anyone is using Logic 7 onwards then you can import the songs straight from GB by simply importing them. This means you would only need to save a folder with all the audio files in it and the actually song file.

Check out OMF files as well. Although I have never worked with them, I believe they might come in useful when transfering projects from Logic to ProTools..

Rimmer
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

The iControl is very cool for what it is -- a GarageBand-only controller. If you'll be using GB for a while, I highly recommend it. Whether or not it'll work in Logic... let us know, please.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Neil Fein<br />
      Edison, NJ</div>

Comment

Logic can directly open a Garage Band song, with all instruments and effects intact.

Pro Tools cannot directly open OMF files, the $Digitranslator app is needed to convert to PT format.

You might want to look at Logic Express for mixing, it just has more capability.

G-Dub
        www.studiog-fx.com
        15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
        OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Working...
        X