Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firewire Solo or Fast Track USB or something else?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewire Solo or Fast Track USB or something else?

Im thinking of buying a Firewire Solo and have a read a few threads on different forums (macmusic) that there have been a few problems using this and Tascam US-122.

Im also interested in Fast Track USB, how much better is Firewire Solo than a Fast Track. Everyone recommends a Presonus Firebox but there no way I can afford that right now.

Im using a G5 iMac with Tiger 10.4 OS and 768 RAM and intend to use Garageban and maybe Logic Express later on.

Anyone have any experiences using these interfaces with simlar computer?

You have to bear in mind that a lot of these "problems" you read about are from people who cant be bothered to read the owner's manual for the thing they just bought.

I've heard the Tascam US-122 is pretty good, actually. If it was my choice, I'd be inclined to pick a Firewire interface over a USB one.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
    </font></font><font size="2"><br />
    </font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind
      I've heard the Tascam US-122 is pretty good, actually. If it was my choice, I'd be inclined to pick a Firewire interface over a USB one.

The US-122 is a great little interface and is extremely reliable in my experience. I bought one for a friend of mine (with his cash.. !!) and it's flawless with Audio and Midi. Some latency on his iMac G5 1.6gig but it's got a usable direct monitoring facility.

If you had of asked people whether to buy a USB audio interface even a couple of years or more ago, most people would have pointed you towards a PCI card of one of the few choice Firewire cards. If you just need 2 ins 2 outs, then USB is fine as long as you buy a decent interface with reliable and well updated drivers.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Working...
      X