X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toast help

Is it normal for toast to take approx. 8 hours to burn a 1.5 hour dvd? What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by FINGERFUNK
    Is it normal for toast to take approx. 8 hours to burn a 1.5 hour dvd? What am I doing wrong?

What file are you burning it from? (it's extension..) What computer are you using?
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Rimmer

What file are you burning it from? (it's extension..) What computer are you using?

Mac G4 760Mhz, 1.2 GB ram. Burning from avi to a DVD file.

Comment

Originally posted by FINGERFUNK

Mac G4 760Mhz, 1.2 GB ram. Burning from avi to a DVD file.

The one thing that gets me about owning an Apple (and i'm not blaming Apple directly as I don't know who's fault it is..) but I have found transfering AVI files to anything other than AVI has been a seriously lengthy process.

I have a bunch of personal videos from over the years in AVI format which were generally sent from Windows friends.. They all take ages to transfer from AVI to something I can work with..

8 hours isn't soo bad. I translated a 45 min documentary the other day (around 300-400 megs) from AVI to an Mv4 file and it took 18 hours on my crippled G4/400..

Rimmer
        "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Wow, I thought for sure I was doing something wrong (maybe some settings or something). Thanks for responding.

Comment

Even at 1x speed it should take no more than an hour. It's just data. I'd call apple if you're still under applecare, or try reloading Toast.

Comment

Originally posted by where02190
              Even at 1x speed it should take no more than an hour. It's just data. I'd call apple if you're still under applecare, or try reloading Toast.

In my experience, AVI files take ages and ages to convert to something Toast will be able to write as a DVD (VOB etc..). I don't think there is anything wrong with it..

Rimmer

Comment

Don't convert it, write it as data DVD.

Comment

Don't convert it, write it as data DVD.

Will that then play as a DVD in a standard movie DVD player?

Rimmer

Comment

Depends on the player. However if you must convert, do it before you burn in an applicable application (like imovie) and not using Toast.

Comment

However if you must convert, do it before you burn in an applicable application (like imovie) and not using Toast.

I've tried that before and it did take longer than I thought it should so, good point!!

I am converting one of my DVD's for my girlfriends 'iPod video' at the moment. G4/400 2.6 hours for a 1-1/2 hour film. Much better than AVI to whatever..

Rimmer

Comment

Working...
                      X