Collapse
No announcement yet.

upgrade time

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can do okay upgrading your current machine. I have a G4/733 (the Digital Audio model, the one before the Quicksilver--state of the art, January 2001!) that's been upgraded all over the place over the years--a gig of RAM, an upgraded video card (as lipids notes, OS X Panther and Tiger have some features that want video cards newer than four years old), an extra internal hard drive, a USB 2.0 card, and, perhaps most importantly, a 1.33 Ghz processor upgrade. It's not the fastest machine around, by any means--the first-generation Superdrive is particularly slow--but it can handle Garageband 2.0 files with 15+ tracks, including amp modeling and other resource-hungry features, and it's pretty much rock solid (okay, Garageband does crash every once in awhile--it's not the most stable program around).

The problem is, if you try to do all the upgrades at once, you're looking at some money, even with G4 processor upgrade prices having fallen significantly in the past year. CPU plus video card plus Tiger, you're looking at $600, probably. Is it worth pouring that much into an old machine?

Me, I'm hoping to get through the next year before hopping on the Apple/Intel bandwagon.
    HC Geezer Brigade member #49

Comment

i don't think i'd spend much on upgrades.. i think i may just try to sell mine and get an imac.. it's enough power, just no slots.. but for around $1200 not bad at all...
      http://www.myspace.com/patshepard

Comment

Originally posted by patshep
        i don't think i'd spend much on upgrades.. i think i may just try to sell mine and get an imac.. it's enough power, just no slots.. but for around $1200 not bad at all...

You do not need to upgrade the CPU. RAM and a video card would be plenty for now. We are talking about $300. That saves you $900 to play with. Of course, a new iMac is a sweet thing.
        android

Comment

Working...
        X