Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Ram limit on OSX??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram limit on OSX??

Hey Guys..

I just read this on the recording forum

Correct me if I'm wrong but XP can only allocate 2 g of memory to any app so more than that may not help you much depending on the software you are trying to run. I found this out after putting 4 g in mine.

Is there any limit in MacOsx??

Regards.

Rimmer
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

From the Memory Manager Guide:

In Mac OS X, each process has its own sparse 32-bit or 64-bit virtual address space. For 32-bit processes, each process has an address space that can grow dynamically up to a limit of four gigabytes. For 64-bit processes, the address space can grow dynamically up to a limit of approximately 18 exabytes.

An exabyte is 2 to the 60th, or 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes.

Comment

Originally posted by Qengho
      From the Memory Manager Guide:

An exabyte is 2 to the 60th, or 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes.

Ah.. So basically the 32bit users with 32 bit os's get 4gb's and the 64bit users get more than they ever need?

Thx!

Rimmer
      <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

I think the practical limit is much less than that. I can't recall the thread, but there was some discussion from Logic users that they couldn't get LP7.1 under Tiger to utilize more than 3GB or so...

Comment

This is going to be a little speculative since I do not know exactly how Logic reservers memory.

Your hardware in most cases will limit the amount of RAMyour computer can use.

It is true that the amount of memory a 64bit processor can address is 18 exabytes. However, my G5 will only allow 8GB but the new G5 will take 16GB.

Now, if Logic runs like most other OS X apps memory is dynamically assigned to the application based on need. The more plugins you use, the more RAM Logic will eat.

What Symbiotic says may be a limit with the application, I am not sure. However, OS X really depends on what your hardware will allow.

I currenlt have 3GB installed and do not often max it out, but it has happened once or twice.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://android.cc" target="_blank">android</a></div>

Comment

Originally posted by lipids
            I currenlt have 3GB installed and do not often max it out, but it has happened once or twice.

Thanks for all the information then.

Rimmer

Comment

Originally posted by Rimmer

Thanks for all the information then.

Rimmer

Mispellings and all. I know it is a lot of RAM, but I am a huge multitasker. I generally keep open tons of apps.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://android.cc" target="_blank">android</a></div>

Comment

Working...
              X