Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GarageBand Help

Hi,
    I am fairly new to mac, i have been trying to record some stuff with real intruments on garage band. I know with garage band the quality will not be great but i just wanna record songs with like 1-2 acoustic guitars and vocals as demos to give my band to learn and add to. I bought a cheap little adapter at radio shack that goes into the input next to the headphone input on my powerbook and into that goes a quarter inch. when i record 1 trac of say acoustic guitar into garage band and play it back it sounds fine. The problem is when i try to add another track on top, everything begins to sound fuzzy and somewhat distorted. Any advice?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">want:<br />
    Boss OC-2<br />
    for sale/trade:<br />
    Tr-2<br />
    <br />
    http://myspace.com/povertybranch <br />
    </div>

Originally posted by itstartsstoppin
    Hi,
    I am fairly new to mac, i have been trying to record some stuff with real intruments on garage band. I know with garage band the quality will not be great but i just wanna record songs with like 1-2 acoustic guitars and vocals as demos to give my band to learn and add to. I bought a cheap little adapter at radio shack that goes into the input next to the headphone input on my powerbook and into that goes a quarter inch. when i record 1 trac of say acoustic guitar into garage band and play it back it sounds fine. The problem is when i try to add another track on top, everything begins to sound fuzzy and somewhat distorted. Any advice?

Adding another track to the existing one? Are you sure you've created a new track to record on to?

My friend recently bought Logic Audio Express and is working on learning his new package and slowly importing his GB projects in to Logic. I would say that Express sounds better overall but GB sounds perfectly good for most people so you should get a decent sound.

I would recommend you consider something like the Tascam US122 at some point as the quality will be superior to the line input. Depends on your needs..

Rimmer
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Also, check to make sure the "real instrument" type is correct for that track. If you've plugged in a mic but the instrument type is set for guitar (or whatever), it might get distorted. There's also an input volume slider in the track properties. Perhaps one of those things is messed up.

FWIW, I'm using Garageband by plugging my guitars/basses/mics into a mixer, and outputting the mixer into my line in, so I have some external volume control. Perhaps its your adapter?
      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;There are only two things to remember: don't stop, and keep going.&quot; - Frank Zappa<br><br>Visit <a target="_blank" href="http://www.zeyerband.com">http://www.zeyerband.com</a></div>

Comment

Sigh, there is a lot to this as a topic...and I can't see it, so guessing based on what you said.

You need a "Basic Track", must have record enabled on a track, then hit main record button. You said 1 track is OK... so u did this...
        Now you *Can* record on the same track, again, with the same guitar, but yeah that would be more of the same...

The power of multitrack is make a new BASIC TRACK - then if they sound bad together - pan one left, one right, EQ one, compress one....reverb, etc. Also lower volume on each separately..
        So after track 1, new basic track, record enable it, record on THAT NEW track -
        ( U season volume, EQ, FX later to taste )

OK??

------------------------------------------------------
        Actually GB uses Logic Audio & FX - Quality is not an issue... If you wanted features like various synth & samplers - OK, Logic...

The 1/8" on a PB is 24 bit & Supports up to 96KHz sample rates !!!! The reason 24/96 analog & S/PDIF on a PB G4? Musicians can use it as is....
        ( cheap USB interfaces offer nothing better, usually less )

Comment

Originally posted by Egz

------------------------------------------------------
          Actually GB uses Logic Audio & FX - Quality is not an issue... If you wanted features like various synth & samplers - OK, Logic...

The 1/8" on a PB is 24 bit & Supports up to 96KHz sample rates !!!! The reason 24/96 analog & S/PDIF on a PB G4? Musicians can use it as is....
          ( cheap USB interfaces offer nothing better, usually less )

Two points.

1. I have imported a few GB sessions on a friends iMac in to Logic Audio Express. I have to say (and I haven't got to the bottom of this) that the songs sound more polished before any effects and such like. I wonder whether Logic Express/PRO runs at a higher internal resolution than GB.

2. I would disagree with you that the 1/8" jack offers the same quality as even cheap USB interfaces. You may be forgetting that the quality of conversion is in the A/D conversion which many USB interfaces offer much better A/D conversion than an internal sound chip, 24bit or not. On top of that, there could be a lot more noise created during the conversion as the chip is internal and much closer to all the electronics that are ticking away close to the circuit itself. The beauty of having a decent A/D conversion (or D/A for that matter) a distance from the general electronics of the computer can often be very beneficial to the quality of the digital information resulting from the conversion. If you feel the need to check this out yourself. Go and audition a Tascam US122 in a music shop and compare the results after passing the same information through the minijack and internal A/D convertor in the Mac. It's not the same..

Regards. Rimmer
          <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Rimmer

Two points.

1. I have imported a few GB sessions on a friends iMac in to Logic Audio Express. I have to say (and I haven't got to the bottom of this) that the songs sound more polished before any effects and such like. I wonder whether Logic Express/PRO runs at a higher internal resolution than GB.

2. I would disagree with you that the 1/8" jack offers the same quality as even cheap USB interfaces. You may be forgetting that the quality of conversion is in the A/D conversion which many USB interfaces offer much better A/D conversion than an internal sound chip, 24bit or not. On top of that, there could be a lot more noise created during the conversion as the chip is internal and much closer to all the electronics that are ticking away close to the circuit itself. The beauty of having a decent A/D conversion (or D/A for that matter) a distance from the general electronics of the computer can often be very beneficial to the quality of the digital information resulting from the conversion. If you feel the need to check this out yourself. Go and audition a Tascam US122 in a music shop and compare the results after passing the same information through the minijack and internal A/D convertor in the Mac. It's not the same..

Regards. Rimmer

1) GB, Logic Express, Logic Pro - connect to Core Audio. This is built right into the Mac OS X OS - and supports up to 32 bit / 10,000 KHz ( or more than any hardware available now, or in a decade likely ).
            Switching computers, and opening in another program, the variables are many... Preferences, Buffer size, sample rate, audio path, - is say a compressor or other plug in on the track, even off, it can color sound.... Output can simply alter ANY part of Pan, EQ, Volume, FX, etc.
            ( One well known trick to "better" sound is loudness - 9/10 will say louder one sounds "better" )

I only say this because I know the people doing it, and that's what they said is under the hood.

2) No, I didn't "forget", what A/D D/A conversion is, and I didn't say PB G4 = cheap USB - In fact, built in is substantially higher quality.
            Yes, I know internal "can" cause "Noise", this is always what companies with big wall warts tell you... but Mackie sticks the electromagnetic hell IN the mixer - and claims that is better......

I have conferred with experts, listened, examined, measured, heard debates, and checked all this from digital file examination - is it identical? To sound, and comparing blind A/B testing.

Today, though I am sure a salesman (on commission) may say otherwise, AD/DA converters are all far above what human, dog, or bit for bit analysis can determine.
            Apogee, Pro Tools, M Audio, Emagic, MOTU, - even use the same exact chips - while "saying" they have better "Sound" (!)

Yes, I have a Tascam 1224 - USB -> Audio involves far more than A/D conversion. ( And Tascam hardly guarantees better sound - often not even supporting Balanced connectors - which reject noise )
            So, "If" you use the same cable, same place, same everything - the USB driver - audio settings, etc. all have some impact. So, sample rate, bit rate, driver, all change audio preferences - As does setting input level on 1224 - a LOT.

Finally the USB spec is horrible in terms of "Timing". It loosely has zero requirement for "Time based Media" - Audio/ Video - Like Video camera's all support IEEE 1394 ( Firewire) Which is time sensitive - obviously if I waver sample rates - garble is the better part this possible mess.... So, MIDI & Audio have to put Time Stamping into the Audio data - so it knows where = when = and reassembles based on tags - I'm not sure how well it works - those who know, refuse to use USB at all.

Actually, if you use S/PDIF - there is no conversion - digital to digital. the 24 bit 96KHz built in a Powerbook - would be identical to source. So, "If" you have a PB, and only use 2 inputs - the built in is actually better - in real life - and has been built to work as a Core Audio I/O with 32 bit support.

Tascam USB driver is not open source, so no idea what they have in there, but those who do, will not touch it... cough!

-a subjective difference may indicate destructive gain stage - which louder, seems better, but the audio is actually degraded....

Evaluating all these variables, and knowing absolutes are not simple, I submit the quality, all around, is far superior Built In ( and the Mic built in, is as good as a basic Sure - or better - ) and possibility for noise/ signal degradation/ errors/ conversion is 100 x less likely on Internal.

This is like Hard Drive debate. You can play 96 tracks back on a Powerbook. Yes, it's slower than many HD's. but if you use 1/2 that at most.... the important thing is, it works well for 48 tracks or less.... Sure there are faster ones, but speed of HD is a non-issue these days.

Comment

I'm a musician, not an engineer or techfreak,
              and the various add-ons and plug-ins are
              detrimental to making MUSIC...

Everybody bitches about quality on a
              computer...they should get their chops
              ready and have someone ELSE record it.

By the time all the options and presets
              are done, the idea may be gone.

It's hopeless for the serious musician.

GB is a shuck for selling computers.

Give me an engineer to do what I tell
              him to do and I'll pay for it...instead
              of tearing my hair out getting a single
              track down, I'll play and let the tekkies
              wank around with electrons.
              Ruester
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Many are chilled, but few are frozen...</div>

Comment

Originally posted by ruester
                I'm a musician, not an engineer or techfreak,
                and the various add-ons and plug-ins are
                detrimental to making MUSIC...

Everybody bitches about quality on a
                computer...they should get their chops
                ready and have someone ELSE record it.

By the time all the options and presets
                are done, the idea may be gone.

It's hopeless for the serious musician.

GB is a shuck for selling computers.

Give me an engineer to do what I tell
                him to do and I'll pay for it...instead
                of tearing my hair out getting a single
                track down, I'll play and let the tekkies
                wank around with electrons.
                Ruester

I almost completely disagree with you.

You are a particular type of person. You understand that right?? One that sounds like that you can't actually encompass and understand anything other than playing..

I am the opposite of you. I can play (and love to play) and I can play the technician as well. I've learnt to do it effectively enough at the same time I admit that some people struggle keeping their minds on the music as well as recording it but you have to admit that there are many people from Brian Eno, through Aphex Twin through Thomas Dolby through Gomez that have managed to take on board all the fact that a modern computer offers them the ability to do it themselves and can be musically creative as well.

GB isn't the greatest music program on the planet but once you have a clue how to set up a track, it couldn't be more instantaneous than clicking a button or two and then recording your next track. You are over complicating the program in your mind..

Some people can juggle...

Merry Christmas..

Comment

I have chops, and I can make music with Garage Band.

Results vary depending on who is using the app.
                  for best results feed it your own source material.

itstartsstoppin, experiment with the buffer/optimize in the audio/midi preference.

ruester, it's always better to come to the computer with an idea first, you also have to be decisive to execut your ideas.

I use GB for fast prototyping, check it out...
                  http://www.macjams.com/song/8875

G-Dub
                  www.studiog-fx.com
                  15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
                  OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Working...
                  X