X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How quiet is the iMac G5?

I'm wondering about using the iMac G5 for recording because the screen and computer are one unit. Is is quiet enough to be in the same room while tracking? Obviously you can't move the CPU outside while keeping the screen and keyboard inside.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Fast Frets
    I'm wondering about using the iMac G5 for recording because the screen and computer are one unit. Is is quiet enough to be in the same room while tracking? Obviously you can't move the CPU outside while keeping the screen and keyboard inside.

Thanks.

I'd say it's pretty quiet overall. Not silent but they have done a good job in that department.

The noisiest thing seems to be the DVD drive when it's winding up but taking the CD/DVD out sorts that problem.

Go check em out in a shop. Pretty impressive machines overall..

Rimmer
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

I've checked them out and they are very impressive. i just haven't had the chance to check them in a quiet environment. I'm still dithering between the 17 and 20 inchers. The 20 has higher processer speed, higher bus speed, larger screen, bigger hard drive, better graphics adapter--really quite a bit more, I guess for "only" $400 more.

:love:

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Frets
        The 20 has higher processer speed, higher bus speed, larger screen, bigger hard drive, better graphics adapter--really quite a bit more, I guess for "only" $400 more.

:love:

I've been doing the same thought process myself. If you can forgo the screen and design, then the dual core desktop (without monitor of course but you can start with something cheap..!) isn't really very different in price.

I love the 17" though but when it's next to the 20" it makes for a hard choice.. I doubt the processor speed difference between the two iMac's is going to change your world but I always think it's worth getting a decent video card in a machine where you will never be able to upgrade it.

Tough choice..

Rimmer
        <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

I have one and consider it relatively noisy. The fan noise was pretty muted until the Panther upgrade came out; after that it became annoyingly loud, with the fan running at higher RPM's almost continously. Tiger didn't do anything to improve it. My son uses it now and I have a PowerMac G5 that runs much more quietly, even dual processors and 4gb of memory in there to heat it up.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Callaham S, EJ Strat, '62 RI Strat, Fender AD Tele, Fender AS Tele, Peavey Wolfgang, Gibson FB, Gibson LP Std, Gibson LP Studio, Gretsch 6118, Edwards LP, Schecter Hollywood, Schecter C-1EA, Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass, MM Stingray 5, Bourgeois Vintage D, Martin D-41, Gallagher Doc Watson, Gibson Dove, Taylor 414ce Ltd, Taylor GC4, Larrivee OM-03, Larrivee Parlor, Tacoma DR-20, Aria AD-80, Fender Twin 50th Anniv, Fender Blues Jr, Egnater Rebel 20, Vox AC30H2, Marshall JTM-45, Fender SuperSonic 22</font></div>

Comment

iMac G5s are leafblowers.

If you run them in Reduced Performance mode they are quiet but then about as fast as a G4.

The newer ones are decent computers... but the towers are better designed for airflow. They still put out a noise...

The quietest computer I had was G4 1.25gHz Mac Mini... super quiet.

My dual G5 1.8 ghz is acceptable for noise levels but I wouldn't want to have any computer around in the same room of a discrete recording.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Waldorf Q, RS7000, A4000, PCR-300</div>

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I'll have to go with the tower. I thought it was interesting that the mini was so quiet. I hadn't really thought about that option.

Comment

Originally posted by malfunkt
                iMac G5s are leafblowers.

The new ones have solved this problem. Totally redesigned interiors make them (by some accounts) as quiet as iBooks.

They are certainly quieter than my G3 iMac, which, although fanless, lets out a constant "whir" from the spinning of the HD. This is absent on the new iMac.

Comment

I have a brand new iMac G5 and it is VERY quiet. I'm using it exclusively for recording, and I am more than pleased.

I highly recommend one!
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Snatch it back and hold it...&quot;</div>

Comment

Originally posted by stratmahon
                    I have a brand new iMac G5 and it is VERY quiet. I'm using it exclusively for recording, and I am more than pleased.

I highly recommend one!

Glad someone else said that. I think it's pretty quiet, even running a heavy garageband session..

Comment

I bought a new 20" 3 weeks or so ago, and it's dead quiet, except when reading a disc.

Comment

Thanks again for the responses. I guess I'm back on the track of getting a 20 incher!

Comment

My 17" imac is whisper quiet. And I think it is an incredible value as well. Maybe the older ones were "leaf blowers", but this one is quiet and fast. And, the screen in my opinion is plenty large. It would be nice to have a 20" screen but not necessary at all, in my opinion.. I have yet to upgrade the RAM, this one still has 512...

Comment

Working...
                          X