Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic

Hi,

I was wondering what people think of Apple's Logic, because I was considering buying it. Also, do you know if the guitar pro software allows you to record while hearing the effects that are being put on the guitar?

Thanks

Originally posted by cadams
    do you know if the guitar pro software allows you to record while hearing the effects that are being put on the guitar?

Thanks

yes.

Comment

Originally posted by cadams
      Hi,

I was wondering what people think of Apple's Logic, because I was considering buying it. Also, do you know if the guitar pro software allows you to record while hearing the effects that are being put on the guitar?

Thanks

My first choice for a software DAW and will probably remain to be.. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's a greeeaat program..

You can monitor through effects. It was a lot harder in older versions of Logic but pretty simple now..

Rimmer
      <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

I have worked in deep with Cubase, Digital Performer and Pro Tools. Once i started working with Logic Pro my life changed a bit. I produce more in less time, i get amazing sonic results, i don't need anything else. Go for it.
        But only one thing is to be clear: Logic pro is conceived to be fully customized, so if you really want to get it's full power you will need time to customize your screensets, template, and key commands. Logic is more key command friendly and has less buttons than i.e. Nuendo. So you must learn the key command assignments or just create yours.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Just started:<br />
        <br />
        <a href="http://www.logicprofiles.com" target="_blank">www.logicprofiles.com</a><br />
        Logic Pro Files sharing Portal:<br />
        SHARE:<br />
        Logic Icons<br />
        Channel Strips<br />
        Templates<br />
        Environments<br />
        Settings<br />
        Online collaborations</div>

Comment

I am also interested in this question. I would appreciate it if those of you who have serious experience with Logic, as well as other leading Mac based audio problems, share what Logic does better than the others.
          Yours, ES;
          <div class="signaturecontainer">EveningSky</div>

Comment

I find Logic to be a struggle, partly because I am so used to Nuendo and Pro Tools. Simple things I can do quickly in Nuendo make me pull my hair out in Logic.

Its a great program, but unless you need its major MIDI functions, I would go with either Logic Express or even GarageBand for something cheaper.

Pro Tools LE with the M Audio interface is pretty unassailable for price, and I got Cubase light free with my TASCAM FW- 1804 and Presonus FirePod.

Logic is a great program, but IMHO is a bit steep on learning curve to really get into for the casual recordist.

The latest Recording Musician has a great article on "whats your DAW and why", you may want to check it out.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Century Gothic"><b>&quot;I have the two qualities you require to see the absolute truth... I am brilliant and unloved&quot;.</b><font color="darkred"> - Miss Evangelista, Dr. Who ep. &quot;Silence In The Library&quot;</font></font></div>

Comment

I have both Logic 7 and Digital Performer 4.6.1 on my G5.

My observation is that I can't believe Logic is called Logic - it's the most bizarre and un-intuitive interface of all the DAW software out there.

DP on the other hand should be called Logic. It's elegant in comparison.
              DP must have been conceived by musicians, Logic by programmers...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMonkey
                I find Logic to be a struggle, partly because I am so used to Nuendo and Pro Tools. Simple things I can do quickly in Nuendo make me pull my hair out in Logic.

Its a great program, but unless you need its major MIDI functions, I would go with either Logic Express or even GarageBand for something cheaper.

Pro Tools LE with the M Audio interface is pretty unassailable for price, and I got Cubase light free with my TASCAM FW- 1804 and Presonus FirePod.

Logic is a great program, but IMHO is a bit steep on learning curve to really get into for the casual recordist.

The latest Recording Musician has a great article on "whats your DAW and why", you may want to check it out.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

My favorite music software was for many years StudioVisionPro (by Opcode that was killed by Gibson). I then jumped to ProTools which I have been using since. I will give DP a try, since I know it has the reputation of being elegant and intuitive with great MIDI features.

Helge K.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Helge Krabye<br />
                web: http://helge.krabye.com<br />
                -----------------------------------------------</div>

Comment

I own DP,SX and Logic.

Logic is no harder/easier to learn than any other DAW. The key to fast navigation are the key commands, and screen sets.

It's the most complete package right from the box. All the effects and instruments needed to complete a project are included. currently my main DAW. very stable.

DP is the next best value for features and the included effects. It's window interface is not standard and takes a while to get used to.
                  MOTU is a very small company and it takes them a while to come out with updates. but the updates are high quality.

SX shows promise, but it eats CPU. I won't even attempt using it again until I get dual G5.
                  And you definately will have to buy a suite of plugs to get the most out of it. From my experince I was able to get 40%-60% more instances of effects and virtual instruments from DP and Logic.
                  I also found the interface to be sluggish when compared to the others. Maybe the swith to Intel will improve the performance.

PTLE wouldn't work for me because of the track/voice limitation. My average drum/percussion arrangement takes 12-18 tracks. I also require notation for when I need sheet music for sidemen.

G-Dub
                  www.studiog-fx.com
                  15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
                  OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Working...
                  X