Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS re-install question

the latest in my on-going battle with my G3 reads like this:

1- i have an extentions confict that i cannot resolve (or at least i think so) hence the re-install

2 - could not re-install a version of 9.1 i tracked down beacuse "it could only be installed over an international english version" sheesh!

3. Bought a copy of 9.2.1 which will not start up from disk (while holding C on start and will not let me select the cd option in 'start up disk' in the control panel)

i am goin out of my mind trying to fix up this mac and would appreciate any help.

Thanks
    You will undergo a crisis of faith when your preist cannot explain to you why everyone at the Last Supper was on one side of the table.

Originally posted by the shiznit
    the latest in my on-going battle with my G3 reads like this:

1- i have an extentions confict that i cannot resolve (or at least i think so) hence the re-install

2 - could not re-install a version of 9.1 i tracked down beacuse "it could only be installed over an international english version" sheesh!

3. Bought a copy of 9.2.1 which will not start up from disk (while holding C on start and will not let me select the cd option in 'start up disk' in the control panel)

i am goin out of my mind trying to fix up this mac and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Oh.. I have a feeling I have come across that 'international english' thing before..

If you can actually boot to OS9 at all then go to STARTUP DISK from the Control Panel's menu (with the install disk inserted of course..) and see if you can select it from there. Probably not but worth a try.

Other than that. Try running the Mac from OS BASE in the extensions menu. I think you can go there at boot up if you hold the SPACE bar down, I think.. Been a while!

Then it's a matter of painstakingly enabling an extension at a time then rebooting. You might try doing a few at a time to save time..

There was an application for finding extensions conflicts but I forget the name.

To be honest, I don't think installing OS9 over an existing version will actually go over your extensions. I think it just replaces all the core software that is the OS. Might be time for a back up and reinstall..

Rimmer
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Which Oses do you currently have installed on the machine?

Comment

Get your hands on a copy of the Mac Care Unit. In it is contained some very useful utilities, one of which is Conflict Catcher. If your problem is an extention or control panel, it will find and isolate it for you.

If you can't find it, drop me an e-mail at nick@npstudios.com and we'll work out getting you a copy.

Comment

Gawd...OS9...I love it, but...hey...

In OS9, there's a menu option for extensions called "View as packages". Use it.

It'll save you a ton of time in your extension reboot scenario. You can select a package at a time--Photoshop, MOTU, etc--and when you run into problems, you can narrow it down to that extension package.

This will also sound arrogant as hell, but I really don't mean it to be, at all...bottom of my heart, I promise.

Do you really need the "International English" version? Are you fluent enough in "our" English to try it that way? I have often wondered if Apple didn't throw a handful of totally uneccessary roadblocks in the way with that.

Like Nick, I'd like to help. Some machine details would be helpful. I believe I have a full 9.2.2 install somewhere, ready to go.
          I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally Posted by coyote-1

A soul, waiting to go to God, wanted a turkey sandwich.

Comment

ah harmony-central, ever reliable fountain of knowlege.

thanks for the replies!

My mac is a blue and white G3 450mgz 512ram 20 gig drive currently running OS 9.1 on '"extentions off" start up only.

I've tried running through and switching off extentions to no avail. but will give it another go with the packager (thanks offramp)

'where' - will the conflict catcher work if i can only start up the mac with extentions turned off?

thanks people
            You will undergo a crisis of faith when your preist cannot explain to you why everyone at the Last Supper was on one side of the table.

Comment

Originally posted by the shiznit

'where' - will the conflict catcher work if i can only start up the mac with extentions turned off?

Doubt it.. But.. It's there to sort out those sorts of problems.

OS9.2.2 might be worth installing though. Just incase some of the extensions don't like your OS version.

Rimmer
              "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

There's an Apple discussion forum devoted to OS9 installation troubleshooting.

Lots of good tips:
                http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=667

Comment

Another concern for me is RAM and your board revision. B&W G3's have two major issues:

1) Get the best-quality RAM you can, within exact specifications. I'd suggest macgurus.com. My B&W 350 had so many similar, frustrating issues, and it came down to a wonky stick of RAM.

2) You may have a rev.1 board, which are known to have bad IDE controllers. (I know...been there.) Again, macgurus.com will have details, as will xlr8yourmac.com.

(And no, I don't have any connection with macgurus, just positive experience.)

That 9.2.1 disc you bought, may have been machine-specific. If it is, then it won't likely install on your particular machine. That's where you need the retail version. Or, more accurately nowdays, the 'generic' version found on Apple's website.

I was never so happy with a version of the original Mac OS as I was with 8.6 and 9.2.2.
                  Get 9.2.2 for your machine. I think you'll breathe easier.
                  I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally Posted by coyote-1

A soul, waiting to go to God, wanted a turkey sandwich.

Comment

will the conflict catcher work if i can only start up the mac with extentions turned off?

You won't be booting from your system folder, you boot from the CC disc. It's designed specificially to find and fix problems with systems that cannot boot on their own.

You put the disc in and hold the C key while starting up.

Comment

Originally posted by where02190

You won't be booting from your system folder, you boot from the CC disc. It's designed specificially to find and fix problems with systems that cannot boot on their own.

You put the disc in and hold the C key while starting up.

Going cheap on ebay..

Comment

boot for the CD -- do a clean install -- click the options radio button on the first screen that it appears on and check clean installation--- your old system folder will be renamed "Previous system folder" copy over the extensions you need after you restart. that will get you around the international english thing

Comment

Originally posted by moogerfooger
                          boot for the CD -- do a clean install -- click the options radio button on the first screen that it appears on and check clean installation--- your old system folder will be renamed "Previous system folder" copy over the extensions you need after you restart. that will get you around the international english thing

This would be a last resort, as you will essentially be starting fresh. While your old system folder is retained, since that's where your problem currently exists, you really don't want to be trying to copy your old setup preferences from that, as you'll most likely copy the problme over again. In addition, you'll need to reinstall any third party apps, and enter serial numbers for them if required.

Comment

Originally posted by moogerfooger:
                            "boot for the CD -- do a clean install -- click the options radio button on the first screen that it appears on and check clean installation--- your old system folder will be renamed "Previous system folder" copy over the extensions you need after you restart. that will get you around the international english thing"

this wouldnt be a problem as my mac is 'new' second hand (if that makkes any sense) and i dont want anything previously installed on it to be kept.
                            starting fresh would be great. My problem is that it wont let me boot from the cd for some reason.

I'm looking out for a cc disk

Comment

hey offramp - i had a look over at the apple site (thanks mm) it appears as though my copy of 9.2.1 is generic and not machine specific.

however, i did find this - "The part number for the North American English full-install retail OS 9.2.1 Install CD is 691-3334-A (the part number can be found below the text block on the left-hand side of the white label). "

the part number on my disk reads: 1z691-3362-a. Maybe this is an upgrade cd not a full install?

help!

Comment

Working...
                              X