Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

iTunes, quicktime refuse to open

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iTunes, quicktime refuse to open

Quite recently, iTunes and quicktime have stopped launching. I believe it started when I tried to open a specific file (a music video from Yellow Magic Orchestra if you must know). I know it is a working file, because I did get iTunes to run it once. I can't figure out if the problem started when I got iTunes 6, but I am not sure.

I am running OS 10.3.9 on a brutally old G4 quicksilver 867.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">I would trade it all for a little bit more.</div>

Rebuild permissions.
    Applications-utilities-disc utilities. Select your current operating drive, and rebuild permissions.

Comment

Originally posted by where02190
      Rebuild permissions.
      Applications-utilities-disc utilities. Select your current operating drive, and rebuild permissions.

That didn't seem to work. I already tried it.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">I would trade it all for a little bit more.</div>

Comment

Hey there -

Rebuilding permissions is the first step, as noted above. However, do so when booting from your Mac OS X.3 install disk.

Step #2: I personally install Applejack onto every Mac in the house. Go to versiontracker.com and download it. Install and reboot. During the reboot, when you hear the Happy Mac chime, hold down the S and apple keys simultaneously.

If you are in any way confused by this process or my instructions, do a Google for "mac apple booting into single user mode".

When you see the screen become black and white, release the keys. Then, at the prompt, type this exact line:

applejack auto restart

And then hit the return key, Applejack will do the rest in about 3-5 minutes.

But be sure to repair permissions using the Install CD before and after ANY installation of ANY software and every two weeks thereafter.

Hope this helps and if you're still in a pickle, shoot me an email: jaronensley@mac.com

Jer

Comment

I got my self it all sorts of trouble trying to run permissions from the boot disk. It seems all my disks are just install disks, and refuse to let you run apps when booting from CD. This is the first time having any issues with OSX so I was a bit of a noob. The last time I did any booting from the disk was with OS 8, and that I understood a bit better. I ended up reformatting my HD and reinstalling OS 10.3. I figure I will install protools LE, and prevent either quicktime or Itunes from auto updating, and I should be in the clear.

Comment

sure now you mention using Pro Tools LE. Itunes 6 and Quicktime 7.x and Digi Coreaudio driver do not get along. You can update to the latest Coreaudio driver and that may do it or you can disable Itunes and Quicktime from using the Coreaudio driver.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Seek first to understand, then to be understood.&quot;</div>

Comment

Originally posted by jaronensley
              I personally install Applejack onto every Mac in the house.

What is Applejack?

Comment

Hello fellas -

Applejack is a little cache cleaner, permissions repair, and disk utility checker that runs in single user mode.

I like it because it performs five needed tasks relatively unattended. Every morning, I'll boot up holding the 'command' and 'S' keys down, run Applejack and get into the shower. Takes about 3-4 minutes on the new Quad.

Karl's got a point though, Applejack won't help you if you've got software conflicts. No utility will. Also, for optimization and everything else, I still use TechTool Pro 4.0.4 and DiskWarrior 3.0.3.

But Applejack rocks. Do a search at versiontracker.com and give it a whirl. Of course, if you don't back up before running anything, you're asking for it.

In all of my computer experience, there still is no answer for the idiots of the world who don't back up data. Except of course to do so.

For backing up, incase anyone cares, my favored utility is SuperDuper! 2.0.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by jaronensley
                  Hello fellas -

Applejack is a little cache cleaner, permissions repair, and disk utility checker that runs in single user mode.

I like it because it performs five needed tasks relatively unattended. Every morning, I'll boot up holding the 'command' and 'S' keys down, run Applejack and get into the shower. Takes about 3-4 minutes on the new Quad.

Also, for optimization and everything else, I still use TechTool Pro 4.0.4 and DiskWarrior 3.0.3.

I was wondering about that.

So, DiskWarrior and Applejack do two completely different things, right?

Comment

Yes they do. Applejack performs the "fsck" (file system check) or Disk Repair, Repair Permissions for Mac OS X volumes, empty system and user caches, verification of preferences for corruption and deletes swap files, the result of your Mac writing files on the hard drive when it runs out of RAM, commonly called pageouts.

DiskWarrior inventories your disk's directory, builds a completely new one, and if you so choose replaces it in it's entirety.

DiskWarrior is the one that everyone uses to save a machine that's totally tits and won't boot.

TTP 4.0.4 is for monthly maintenance duties.

Girlfriend is kissing my ears. gotta go. =)

Jer

Comment

Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                      X