Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

G3 Users Only

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Okay...by "substantial", perhaps read "ratio". I have heard some positive reviews on Sonnet, but in comparison to the number of people I've met who've popped a neck vein when the name Sonnet is mentioned...the number is extremely low.
    Good for you, though. Seriously.

    Fulcrum: For a 'Buy It Now' price on eBay, there's a G4/450 for $149. Hurry.
    I've upped my standards; now, up yours.







    Originally Posted by coyote-1


    A soul, waiting to go to God, wanted a turkey sandwich.

    Comment


    • #17
      Thanks for the replies on the 7100 v. beige/blue-n-white G3. I haven't actually spent any money yet but you have made my eventual decision easier for when I do.

      Prolly gonna be a G4 450 (not the one on Ebay, I still odn't trust that place), unless something better presents for the same price when I'm ready to buy.

      Cheers.
      Sonar Stuff at The Bbasement

      Comment


      • #18
        Hey cats, um, I was wondering about the RAM installed in my G3. I know the bus speed is 100mHz on the mobo. Ive got two sticks of 128mb. One is 133mhz the other is 100mhz. 256mb is recognized by the iMac but is 256mb actually being used?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by freakmonk1789
          ... 256mb is recognized by the iMac but is 256mb actually being used?


          It sure is. PC133 is backwards compatible. You can even mix and match on G3's with PC100 and PC133.
          android

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by lipids


            It sure is. PC133 is backwards compatible.


            Not all, check before you buy.

            Comment


            • #21
              I've got a dual processor G4 for my real recording needs but I still have an original Tangerine iBook, G3 300, 9.2.2 w/ 288M RAM that I use for creating sheet music and very simplistic 2 track recording/editing.
              My name is Dave and I play guitar.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by where02190


                Not all, check before you buy.


                You sure? Never had any issues myself and i've installed loads of ram in different machines, including my own..
                "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Rimmer


                  You sure? Never had any issues myself and i've installed loads of ram in different machines, including my own..


                  It's not common that it won't work, but there is some cheap ram out there that isn't.

                  Of course, it's also not advisable to buy cheap ram either.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Cool, I wish Windows machines were like that.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I've got Herbie Hancocks old beige G3. It runs 266 MHz and has about 200MB RAM. Don't worry Herbie, the drive was reformatted before I picked it up a few years ago.

                      I dig it because it has audio in and out that current Macs don't have, it has SCSI to load up my AKAI sampler, it has a serial port to run all the synths, and it has the familiar OS 8.6. It runs Cubase 4.3. I wish there was better, but it's paid for.

                      I would very much like to replace the internal ZIP drive with a second internal hard drive like 9-GB but am uncertain as to whether that will work.

                      Anyone with clues? Does the ZIP drive have same powersupply and SCSI cable? Does the A-Rev board address a second harddrive?
                      Ed B

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Bartfast


                        I would very much like to replace the internal ZIP drive with a second internal hard drive like 9-GB but am uncertain as to whether that will work.

                        Anyone with clues? Does the ZIP drive have same powersupply and SCSI cable? Does the A-Rev board address a second harddrive?


                        You can put the 2nd HD in the bay above the Zip drive. Unless you want a SCSI HD for some reson, the ATA/IDE drive you put in there will use the same power connector, but require an IDE cable for the data.

                        Is your Beige a Desktop or a Tower model?

                        The Rev A Beige doesnt support Master/Slave HD drive configuration on the IDE bus. You can buy a Rev. B or C chip on eBay for $50 or less, and get around the space issue by having one drive in the Zip spot and the other above it, hooked to the same drive cable.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by multitrack mind


                          You can put the 2nd HD in the bay above the Zip drive. Unless you want a SCSI HD for some reson, the ATA/IDE drive you put in there will use the same power connector, but require an IDE cable for the data.

                          Is your Beige a Desktop or a Tower model?

                          The Rev A Beige doesnt support Master/Slave HD drive configuration on the IDE bus. You can buy a Rev. B or C chip on eBay for $50 or less, and get around the space issue by having one drive in the Zip spot and the other above it, hooked to the same drive cable.


                          Whoa...
                          My cpu is a desktop model
                          Is the Zip Drive on a SCSI bus or an IDE bus?
                          Does installation of a B or C chip permit a second or slave hard drive on the IDE bus? Or does it permit a 2nd hard drive of the SCSI type?
                          I'm so confused.

                          I would think one could buy a SCSI harddrive, discard the Zip, and plug the drive in its stead. Even with an Rev-A chip.

                          ps. thanks for the info... I'd really like to keep the G3 in the studio.
                          Ed B

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I looked here...
                            http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g3.shtml

                            ...it was inconclusive on whether Rev.A G3s use SCSI or IDE for the Zip drive. It's definite about Rev.B's using an IDE Zip.

                            Putting a Rev.B or C chip in enables a 2nd ATA/IDE HD.

                            You probably could just plug a SCSI drive in the Zip's spot and have it work. But I havent done it, so I dont know for sure.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by multitrack mind
                              I looked here...
                              http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g3.shtml

                              ...it was inconclusive on whether Rev.A G3s use SCSI or IDE for the Zip drive. It's definite about Rev.B's using an IDE Zip.

                              Putting a Rev.B or C chip in enables a 2nd ATA/IDE HD.

                              You probably could just plug a SCSI drive in the Zip's spot and have it work. But I havent done it, so I dont know for sure.


                              Hey Multitrack Mind,
                              Thanks for the inspiration. I looked on eBay and other locations and could not find a B or C chip set. Then I figured I don't really want a second drive, rather something bigger than the measly stock 6GB Quantum that's quickly filling up.

                              I found instructions on XLR8YourMac.com on how to temporarily use the IDE cable from the CDROM drive to initialize a new hard drive and copy the system and contents over. Then you spring open the chassis and swap the new drive for the old one. The CDROM gets its cable back and all is normal.

                              It worked! I've got a new 80GB Western Digital drive in 3 partitions and it operates perfect! I didn't have the nerve to format it in the older and chunkier HFS format which purportedly is more efficient for recording large files, i.e. digital recording.

                              Also, I found an old Korg 1212 card on eBay that hopefully will operate with Cubase

                              Thanks,
                              Ed B

                              Comment









                              Working...
                              X