Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple gearing up for OS war

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apple gearing up for OS war

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27559

    "That is that a patent has been discovered that allows Apple to protect the installation of the Mac OS X to just Apple-produced hardware."

  • #2
    How is it an OS war if you choose to boot Windows or boot OS X? One isn't taking over the other just sharing a common hardware platform. Therefore...
    I see it as a hardware war. Apple against Dell, Gateway, Sony and the likes.
    "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

    Comment


    • #3
      I totally agree - what OS war? Apple is still preventing OS X from running on PC hardware, something that would have to happen to start the "war".

      Don't get me wrong - I would love to see it, just like the ascendency of Linux. Kill Microsoft!

      Jer

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, the only chance of any serious OS "war" is if Longhorn ships and it's a total piece of ****************.

        Even greedy plagiarizing monopolists can learn from their mistakes,I'll bet. Maybe...possibly.

        And what if the thing (Longhorn) is really good? Apple's been getting tons of mileage from iPods the last few years, but that train's gonna leave the station some time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by multitrack mind
          Yeah, the only chance of any serious OS "war" is if Longhorn ships and it's a total piece of ****************.

          Even greedy plagiarizing monopolists can learn from their mistakes,I'll bet. Maybe...possibly.

          And what if the thing (Longhorn) is really good? Apple's been getting tons of mileage from iPods the last few years, but that train's gonna leave the station some time.


          Vista beta sucks. I hated it completely. Linux is a great alternative to both Mac and Microsoft. Linux runs great on all processors, thus ending the proprietary bull**************** that diversifies mac and intel based pcs. All computers can run the same os no matter who made the chipset.
          Janitor for the Mazi Bee Militia

          Guitars: Karera lp copy semi hollow cherry sunburst, Ibanez jet king ivory
          Other: p bass copy, radioshack keyboard
          Amps: ibanez bass amp, 10 watts (borrowed), no name bass amp 120 watts 15 inch speaker, peavey envoy 110 30 watt amp, peavey rage 110 12 watt amp
          Effects:boss ds1, boss bf-2, crybaby wah
          rig: instrument to ds-1 to bf-2 to wah to peavey envoy 110 split to the big no name bass amp

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PearlJamRicky


            Vista beta sucks. I hated it completely. Linux is a great alternative to both Mac and Microsoft. Linux runs great on all processors, thus ending the proprietary bull**************** that diversifies mac and intel based pcs. All computers can run the same os no matter who made the chipset.


            I do not think Linux is quite ready for my Mom to use. Not yet. She would have difficulty finding and installing software.

            Also, I cannot run Photoshop (natively) Ableton Live, Reaon and toons of other apps commercially available.

            Linux will not make it as a viable, widely accepted desktop alternative until the command line is hidden from the average user.
            android

            Comment


            • #7
              Good, we did'nt waste our money on them fancy machines.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lipids


                I do not think Linux is quite ready for my Mom to use. ...

                Linux will not make it as a viable, widely accepted desktop alternative until the command line is hidden from the average user.


                No ****************. I know people that can barely check and send email in X or XP much less deal with that.

                Command lines are so 1978. Even if you think the 2 major OSes seem to waste half their resources on bloated eye candy,everyone wants a GUI.Even lousy ones with "Start" buttons.

                When I see TV commercials with Eminem or U2 flogging devices running Linux that millions of folks are snapping up, I'll think it has a shot at mainstream mindshare/acceptance.

                Comment



                Working...
                X