X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New iMac. Do I want Logic Express?

Just picked up a a 17" iMac over the weekend, and a Focusrite Saffire...This is just for recording me and my revolving roster of session musicians (me), and I'm not really (or at all) into MIDI stuff. The Saffire comes bundled with Cubase LE, which I have begun learning.

This is my step up from a Tascam 788 standalone unit (served me well--RIP), and so I'm just digging in to the world of computer-based recording. Cubase LE definitely has a PC-feel to it, and is fairly limited. OTOH, I have heard mixed things about Logic Express and it's required learning curve, but I know it has immensely more functionality. So...should I step it up and pick up Logic Express, or will I find myself hating life because it is even more difficult to learn?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/thevelvetelvisconspiracy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/thevelvetelvisconspiracy</a><br />
    &quot;The music IS the message&quot;</div>

Just to help understand your situation ,I'm wondering what limitations you're finding with LE?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
    </font></font><font size="2"><br />
    </font></div>

Comment

A very good question! The only limitation I've hit so far is the limitation of 2 plugins/track. However, just from reading the manual it is clear that I'll probably hit the wall eventually...

So is it better to "slug it out" and learn Cubase LE, only to hit the wall later on, or to jump into Logic before I get too "invested" in Cubase?
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/thevelvetelvisconspiracy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/thevelvetelvisconspiracy</a><br />

Comment

Is Garage Band installed on your iMac?

Any songs you create in Garage Band are completely compatible with Logic Express and Logic Pro.

B.G. - Apple

Comment

Also, are you ever going to be doing any scoring to picture?

Both Logic Express and Logic Pro let you do that.

Comment

steadyb,

no scoring in my future--let me rephrase that--no scoring to picture in my future.

Yes, I have Garageband installed on my iMac, but I've imported .wav's of all my previous work into cubase. I suppose I could export .wav's into Logic if necessary, but then I lose all my automation etc. all in the name of learning, though...

Comment

Originally posted by velvet_elvis
              steadyb,

no scoring in my future--let me rephrase that--no scoring to picture in my future.

Yes, I have Garageband installed on my iMac, but I've imported .wav's of all my previous work into cubase. I suppose I could export .wav's into Logic if necessary, but then I lose all my automation etc. all in the name of learning, though...

Opening a Garage Band song in Logic doesn't require any exporting... you just open your GB song in Logic and everything is there, instrument settings, channel strips w/FX, and any volume and panning automation you might already have done.

You just gain access to all of Logic's additional parameters and controls.

Comment

Working...
              X