Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, New question

OK, so I bought an M-Audio Firewire Solo, but after I have loaded the program(twice), followed all directions, when I open the program, I get a notice that the ibook "finds no firewire device connected".

I have emailed M-Audio support, but as of today, no response yet, and when I called(long distance), I get nobody, they're all busy.

Can anyone here help me work this problem out?
    http://www.soundclick.com/daveheinlein

Try restarting the computer and repairing permissions.

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind
      Try restarting the computer and repairing permissions.

I've restarted several times to no avail.
      Sorry, but I don't understand "repairing permissions"

Bear with me, I'm a woodworker& guitar player, so take that as you may

Comment

OK.

Find "Disk Utility" on your Mac and repair permissions on your hard drive. You should do this after installing any new software program or drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind
          Find "Disk Utility" on your Mac and repair permissions on your hard drive. You should do this after installing any new software program or drivers.

Good advice.

Disk Utility should be in your Utilities folder, which is in your Applications folder.

Comment

Thank you all very much. I will check it out tomorrow.

Comment

You should also do it before you make any software changes or additions. Before and after, my motto.
              While you're in your Utilities folder, take the Disk Utilities icon and drag it to your dock. It'll put an alias to the program in your dock, so you don't have to hunt the sucker down every time.
              I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally Posted by coyote-1

A soul, waiting to go to God, wanted a turkey sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by offramp
                You should also do it before you make any software changes or additions. Before and after, my motto.
                While you're in your Utilities folder, take the Disk Utilities icon and drag it to your dock. It'll put an alias to the program in your dock, so you don't have to hunt the sucker down every time.

Exactly.

Comment

Go to your system drive>library>preferencepanes and see if the "M-Audio FWpanel.prefpane" is listed. Also system drive>library>preferences "com.m-audio.appc.MAfw.plist" and user>library>preferences "com.m-audio.device-settings.firewire.plist"

If any of those are not showing up verify that you have the latest, non-beta, driver installer. Verify that your firewire port is listed in System Profiler. If you are using a FW hub or external drive take those out of the equation and plug the unit direct to iBook.
                  "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

Comment

So, I found and used the disk utility, and repaired permisions, re-started, and there's the same notice that comes up saying the toaster has found no firewire unit connected. This blows. I was really looking forward to puttzing around with Garage band.
                    Also, on the audio input settings, it says built-in microphone, but it won't let me change that, which the mac directions say to do.

Are there any other things I might try to make this work?

I really appreciate the help you are all giving me.

Comment

Can't help you with your problem, but thought some of your helpers should read this
                      By the way, I was once a strong advocate of repairing permissions, and I still do it occaisionally, but that's just when I'm bored.

Comment

It could be something as simple as a bad Firewire cable.
                        It could also be something as bad as a bad Firewire port.
                        I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally Posted by coyote-1

A soul, waiting to go to God, wanted a turkey sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by offramp
                          It could be something as simple as a bad Firewire cable.
                          It could also be something as bad as a bad Firewire port.

Let's hope it's just the cable, the toaster is brand new!

Comment

Originally posted by kptkarl
                            Go to your system drive>library>preferencepanes and see if the "M-Audio FWpanel.prefpane" is listed. Also system drive>library>preferences "com.m-audio.appc.MAfw.plist" and user>library>preferences "com.m-audio.device-settings.firewire.plist"

If any of those are not showing up verify that you have the latest, non-beta, driver installer. Verify that your firewire port is listed in System Profiler. If you are using a FW hub or external drive take those out of the equation and plug the unit direct to iBook.

The prefpane is the most important of these. The plist files are only preference files, if they do not exist, they will be created when you run the app. In fact, corrupted preferences can often cause issues like this. My suggestion is to trash all m-audio plist files, then try running the app.

Beyond that, have you check out the Audio/MIDI app in your Utilities folder. It help to open that up and verify that the correct sound device is selected.

Good luck.
                            android

Comment

Working...
                            X