Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

New Mac's and Tiger. Keynote/Powerpoint..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mac's and Tiger. Keynote/Powerpoint..

Had a good conversation with a couple of Powerpoint people during a show I did in Spain over the weekend.

They ran a conference on an iBook and a little Powerbook. Funny thing was is that they are both heavy PC users. One didn't like the Mac's and the other said he really loved them since using Keynote instead of Powerpoint.

Apparently, Keynote will import powerpoint presentation without a hitch the fades and cross disolves are apparently far superior to Powerpoint on a PC. Bit boring maybe but, I see a lot of shows that use Powerpoint on PC laptops and it's strange to think that the £40 Apple keynote laughs in the face of Powerpoint although I rarely see people using Keynote instead of Powerpoint.. Anyways..

I was talking to them about Tiger and they claimed that their's crashes regularly on both machines.. I was therefore wondering whether Tiger is to be considered unreliable at this stage? I know they will sort it out as it updates but I was wondering what stage of reliability we are at now??

Rimmer..
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

yeah i've heard things about tiger as well. Its jsut hard to tell because all the machines are different and everyone uses them differently. I'm not one that desires to be on the bleeding edge of technology by any means. I'm still in 10.3 with Protools Le 6.4 and I'm a happy camper. No need for me to switch for a while.

also, interesting you mention keynote, someone was telling me the other day it was much better than powerpoint. Although I do think 99.9% of keynote or powerpoint presentations are useless and look like tacky ****************, but thats a rant for another day.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;When I say be skeptical of everything I mean it. Just because someone was elected to do a job doesn't mean that person has any idea of what they're doing.&quot;- Sen. Bob Kerry<br />
    <br />
    &quot;When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.&quot; --Hunter S. Thompson<br />
    <br />
    &quot;Never rock the mic with the pantyhose&quot;-MCA</div>

Comment

Tiger has been solid on my desktop (dual G4 MDD) and laptop (2004 PB).

Comment

Originally posted by Qengho
        Tiger has been solid on my desktop (dual G4 MDD) and laptop (2004 PB).

Me too.

B.G. - Apple

I was using 10.4 as soon as it came out, and have moved up with each of the updates, without incident.

I have it installed on a Dual G4 1.25, an 800MHz iMac (lampshade style), and a G4 1.33 PowerBook. Everyone is running smoothly.

On my PowerBook, I run Logic Pro 7.1.1, Garage Band, Keynote, etc., many times with a projector or additional monitor connected, and no crashes, or any other problems for that matter.

I repair permissions regularly (Disk Utility), and run Disk Warrior about once a week (takes about 20-30 min) and that regular maintenance seems to keep all the machines very happy.

Comment

Tiger, now in its third revision, is hardly bleeding edge anymore. Get you hands on a copy of Leopard for some edginess or bleeding.

Tiger has been rock solid on my computer since it came out. Actually, Tiger server 10.4.2 runs on my G4 433Mhz great. Tiger 10.4.3 is solid on my 12" PB 1Ghz. 10.4.3 is solid on my Dual 2.0 G5. It is even runnning really well on my friends B&W with a Newertech G4 500 upgrade overclocked to 550Mhz.

I am not saying that others will not run into incompatibility problems, but I am saying that I would take out my PB for a live performance anyday of the week. Maybe a little stage firght, but not any fear from the Mac.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://android.cc" target="_blank">android</a></div>

Comment

I've been using PowerPoint on both my PM G5 (OSX 10.3.7) and iMac G5 (OSX 10.4.2) without any incidents.

Rick

Comment

Good news about Tiger then.. I suspect the people moaning about it hadn't figured out where the software update button is..

I do also agree that Powerpoint is tacky these days but it stills gets used in almost all the corporate work that I do (not that much but at this time of year, there is lots of it around.. !! )

The other thing is is that Keynote is £40 over here. A lot less than what appears to be an inferior version for MS users..

Rimmer
              <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

I've been running Tiger on both my PowerMac (dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM) and PowerBook (1.5ghz, 512mb RAM) since it came out and it has been rock solid for me.

I use both PowerPoint and Keynote, though I've come to prefer Keynote for a variety of reasons. PowerPoints import seamlessly into Keynote in my experience, and I've imported quite a few.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Callaham S, EJ Strat, '62 RI Strat, Fender AD Tele, Fender AS Tele, Peavey Wolfgang, Gibson FB, Gibson LP Std, Gibson LP Studio, Gretsch 6118, Edwards LP, Schecter Hollywood, Schecter C-1EA, Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass, MM Stingray 5, Bourgeois Vintage D, Martin D-41, Gallagher Doc Watson, Gibson Dove, Taylor 414ce Ltd, Taylor GC4, Larrivee OM-03, Larrivee Parlor, Tacoma DR-20, Aria AD-80, Fender Twin 50th Anniv, Fender Blues Jr, Egnater Rebel 20, Vox AC30H2, Marshall JTM-45, Fender SuperSonic 22</font></div>

Comment

im still on 10.3.9

widgets just arent enough to makeme want to upgrade, as I see no point in it.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Dual 867 g4, 1 GB Ram, Panther , Motu 896, novation supernova 2, MOTIF RACK Tuned Refrence 8 Event monitors. running logic 6 on OSX.<br />
                  <br />
                  </div>

Comment

Originally posted by elegal
                    im still on 10.3.9

What about Spotlight (search engine) or aggregate device driver (in AMS), or Automator? Just to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by elegal
                      im still on 10.3.9

How about updates to CoreAudio or the creation of CoreImage. How about the fact that it is faster than Panther? Those are good points. However, if one is happy were they are why change that. Obviously Panther is serving you well. There may be no point to an upgrade for you, but there are many valid reason for people to upgrade.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://android.cc" target="_blank">android</a></div>

Comment

After putting it off as long as I could (why mess with something that works?), I recently upgraded directly from OS 9 to Tiger, and it is solid on my old iMac g4.

Comment

Working...
                        X