Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC --> Mac switch, Which Mac?

I'm currently running an Inspiron 5150 laptop with XP optimized for audio, but I'm tired of wrestling with strange conflicts and such. For instance, occasionally drivers disappear, half the time windows will only boot on the second try (minor annoyance but WTF?), Windows Media Player recently refuses to play CDA, Cool Edit will refuse to read wav files, then will work perfectly next time I use it, etc. XP fans always tell me it's my fault, but when I describe to them what's going on, they can never tell me what it is I might be doing wrong. And this is all WITHOUT using the PC on the internet.

I'm fairly sick of it. I'd gladly sacrifice power in favor of stability...I try to work AWAY from the computer as much as possible anyways, but when I do go to it, I want it to work. Since I'm a first timer, and have tons of good peripherals, I'm interested in the Mac Mini 1.4, upped to 1 GB RAM. Would I be better off getting the Mac Mini with the new OSX, or a used dual 1ghz G4? I have plenty of quality hardware (synths, effects, hardware seq), so the computer doesn't need to be a total workstation. I basically use the computer as a Hard Disk recorder for arranging and mastering. I'd also like to be able to occasonally use the internet without becoming a firewall/anti-virus expert.

Might be better off with the dual G4.

I hope you're not recording audio to the same HD you have your OS on. First of all, it's a bad idea; second, the Mini's HD is 4200 rpm.

Then there's the idea that whatever softs you're using might not be updated for OS Tiger.
    I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally Posted by coyote-1

A soul, waiting to go to God, wanted a turkey sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by lhm1138
      I'm currently running an Inspiron 5150 laptop with XP optimized for audio, but I'm tired of wrestling with strange conflicts and such. For instance, occasionally drivers disappear, half the time windows will only boot on the second try (minor annoyance but WTF?), Windows Media Player recently refuses to play CDA, Cool Edit will refuse to read wav files, then will work perfectly next time I use it, etc. XP fans always tell me it's my fault, but when I describe to them what's going on, they can never tell me what it is I might be doing wrong. And this is all WITHOUT using the PC on the internet.

I'm fairly sick of it. I'd gladly sacrifice power in favor of stability...I try to work AWAY from the computer as much as possible anyways, but when I do go to it, I want it to work. Since I'm a first timer, and have tons of good peripherals, I'm interested in the Mac Mini 1.4, upped to 1 GB RAM. Would I be better off getting the Mac Mini with the new OSX, or a used dual 1ghz G4? I have plenty of quality hardware (synths, effects, hardware seq), so the computer doesn't need to be a total workstation. I basically use the computer as a Hard Disk recorder for arranging and mastering. I'd also like to be able to occasonally use the internet without becoming a firewall/anti-virus expert.

In my opinion, the new G5 iMac's are the best value desktop that Apple offer and to some extent, one of the best home/pro computer options on the market.

Sounds like you are trying to keep it cheap though? I would take the advice of Offramp and consider a quicker external HD as well. All the desktops (including the iMac) use 720rpm drives. Faster than a laptop and the minimac.

Rimmer
      "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Rimmer

In my opinion, the new G5 iMac's are the best value desktop that Apple offer and to some extent, one of the best home/pro computer options on the market.

Sounds like you are trying to keep it cheap though? I would take the advice of Offramp and consider a quicker external HD as well. All the desktops (including the iMac) use 720rpm drives. Faster than a laptop and the minimac.

Rimmer

+1

But, that is 7200rpm, not 720.
        android

Comment

On the laptop, I do unfortunately, even though I know I'm not supposed to. I do have it partitioned. The Dell's is 5400rpm I believe. But as of yet, I haven't even really used it to multitrack much, a very little bit in Cool Edit, but mostly just creating .wavs. I haven't had it very long, less than a year.

Thanks, you've given me much to think about. I'm leaning towards a dual G4 atm. If I recall, the Minis don't have alot of ports, (2 USB 2.0, 1 FW400?) so if I use a firewire hd, that ties up my only FW port (I've read that daiseychaining is also a bad idea). Not to mention it's FW400, why not the faster 800? There's always a 'gotchya'.

The G5 Imac looks great, 7200rpm hd as stock, awesome. The Imac I need would cost me about $1400, alot, but not much more than I paid for my Inspiron, which is already giving me problems and has already depreciated in value by almost %50. I already have a good 19" flat (not lcd) monitor though, seems a waste not to use it.

Are there any certified resellers where I could buy a legit dual G4?

Comment

Yep...go for a used dual G4 with Mac-Intel machines coming in the next year,rumors of Mini's in January. You'll get a good deal on a G4 and it'll be plenty for the average user.
            A couple of places to check.
            DV Warehouse
            Small Dog
            "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

Comment

Originally posted by lipids

+1

But, that is 7200rpm, not 720.

Lol... Too much coffee..
              "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

I have a first run Mac Mini 1.25GHz, and mine came with a 40GB 5400 RPM Seagate drive... either way, I only really use mine for iTunes, iChat, and web surfing (and can get by with 512MB RAM just fine). For anything else, the iMac G5 is a MUCH better machine (in all aspects) - especially if you want to do "real work" on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lhm1138
                  1. if I use a firewire hd, that ties up my only FW port (I've read that daiseychaining is also a bad idea).

2. ...my Inspiron, which is already giving me problems and has already depreciated in value by almost %50.

3. I already have a good 19" flat (not lcd) monitor though, seems a waste not to use it.

4. Are there any certified resellers where I could buy a legit dual G4?

1. Daisychaining works perfectly well. Not a bad idea at all.

2. Mac hold their value a lot longer than PC's. As you will find out while looking for a dual G4.

3. A good 19" CRT is a great thing, but CRT's are hard on the eyes. A nice LCD is a great thing for someone spending large amounts of time in front of a screen.

4. There are certified places, but pretty much any G4 you get is going to be legit. I have seen any cases of counterfit computers being sold. Maybe a few scams where you get nothing or a broken machine. I fin Craig's List to be an excellent resource for good deals on used machines. Just go test drive the sucker first.

Good luck.
                  android

Comment

Working...
                  X