Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

All my net apps giving me kernel panics.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All my net apps giving me kernel panics.

This has been going on since upgrading to 10.3.6 - but 1-4 times per day my net apps are crashing my machine. It usually happens at the launch of the application, and then I get the "translucent, grey screen of death" with the multiple languages.

Is there one or two preference files that all these apps are referencing that might be corrupt?

I will be setting up my new G5 next week, but I need my Powerbook to get me through another few days - and this problem is terribly annoying.

Any advice?

Originally posted by 3DMC
    This has been going on since upgrading to 10.3.6 - but 1-4 times per day my net apps are crashing my machine. It usually happens at the launch of the application, and then I get the "translucent, grey screen of death" with the multiple languages.

Is there one or two preference files that all these apps are referencing that might be corrupt?

I will be setting up my new G5 next week, but I need my Powerbook to get me through another few days - and this problem is terribly annoying.

Any advice?

Have you installed any software recently besides the update? UNinstall them is yes. You can try the regular trouble shooting issues first, of which I am sure you are familiar with. Zap PRAM, start up with shift held down, repair permissions, delete preferences, create a test account to see if the problem stiull exists and so on. However, this sound like a possible driver incompatibility issue. Isolating which drivers may be difficult and time consuming. So, my suggestion is bite the bullet and save youself some time. Get out your Install discs, reinstall the OS, but select "Archive and Install", with the "Preserver Users and Networking setting" option selected. This will replace the OS but keep your users, Apps, docs and settings. It also puts the old system into a folder. You will have to reinstall drivers for third party hardware, but that is about it. In fact, you can go into the old system folder and drag the drivers you need into the new one. All of this should take about two hours. So, you can trouble shoot for a few days and maybe find a solution or spend a few hours reconfiguring part of you system.
    android

Comment

Hehe - I KNEW you were going to tell me to Archive and Install!

I haven't installed any software lately that I can recall. I think it is likely a corrupt preference file somewhere, but it is something that effects everything that is "network" related. Might even be related to my airport card...

Since I've only got a few days left of using this machine as my primary, I'll just stick it out. I'm going to wipe it clean and reinstall once I've got the G5 up and running.

Comment

Well, try trashing all network related app preferences. That may solve this issue.

Also, creating the extra test user account to see if the problem still persists is not a bad idea.
        android

Comment

I had an issue very similar to this recently, though I couldn't trace it to network apps, I did figure out that it was related to the "Restart automatically after power failure" setting in the Energy Saver preference panel. Turning it off completely stopped the grey screen of death.

After a crash, open a terminal window, and type dmesg. I can't remember the exact line, but my error was something along the lines of Apple PMU forced shutdown error -120 or something similar. If that's what you've got, its probably that restart automatically setting.

Let me know if that works.

Comment

Working...
          X