Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I look for when buying a DVD burner?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I look for when buying a DVD burner?

to back up all my music and song files?

For a Mac, I'd get whatever Apple is putting into Macs. I think that's a Pioneer drive. I've had more than one bad experience with third party drives not working after a system upgrade.

Comment

I know quite a few people that use the external Lacie drives and have had no problems with them. They're quite cheap these days too. about $130 last i saw.
      "When I say be skeptical of everything I mean it. Just because someone was elected to do a job doesn't mean that person has any idea of what they're doing."- Sen. Bob Kerry

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --Hunter S. Thompson

"Never rock the mic with the pantyhose"-MCA

Comment

My smart ass response is don't. Unless you plan top be doing lots of video a DVD burner is esentially useless. Sure you can move huge files from one machine to another, but if you plan to use it for backup, hard drives are so much more economical. DVDr's are still quite expensive.
        android

Comment

Originally posted by lipids
          DVDr's are still quite expensive.

No they aren't, they're dirt cheap. You can buy blanks for less than fifty cents each, easily. Sometimes a lot less.

Comment

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel

No they aren't, they're dirt cheap. You can buy blanks for less than fifty cents each, easily. Sometimes a lot less.

Agreed, not to mention I got a used DVD-RAM drive off ebay from straight out of a G4 for $31. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it works like a charm.

- Nate
            www.brightsideband.com
            Cinematic indie rock from the banks of the Fox River

Some of my recording projects:

www.caitmusic.com

www.johnstatz.com

Comment

if u are using a g4/g5 desktop just buy a pioneer 108. i bought mine for about $105 canadian dollars and it was easy to install, all my apps recognized it and it is all around great. u can always check the drive data base at www.xlr8yourmac.com to look into other options as well. dvdr is an affordable and nice way to back up in the studio. hope this helps a bit.

best of luck.

Comment

I still think it is better to use hard drives for backup. If you are only backing up a few GB, fine, maybe a DVD burner is worth it. However, if you are backing up 100GB of data that frequently changes it is best to use a hard drive. Then you can sync your folders you want to back up and automate the whole thing. Once the data you are backing up changes the older discs become outdated and esentially garbarge.

So, let's say you get a DVD burner, roughly $50 - 100, and need to backup 100GB (about 21 DVDs). Witholding the amount of time you wil spend burning all of this data, if you do weekly backups that will cost roughly $546/year @ $.50/dvd. Of course, everyone here may not be backing up that much data, so your prices will vary, but it is likely your data will grow. Whether DVDs are cheap or not compartively to what they used to cost, they are still expensive and wasteful.
                android

Comment

You only end up spending that kind of money if you back up everything every time. There's no point in making fifty one copies of unchanged data from your first backup.

Buying a new hard drive to back up all your data every week would be wasteful, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel
                    Buying a new hard drive to back up all your data every week would be wasteful, too.

Are you suggesting buying a new hard drive every week? Why would someone do this? The point is most data changes. I stated that you may not back up every week, but it is likely your data will grow and change. One hard drive will handle any changes, dynamically, if you sync the drive to the folders you want backed up. DVD's are a one time, one write thing. Once written it cannot be changed.

Of course many people will not be backing up 100GB of data weekly, but the process is valid for nearly any amount of dynamic data. An example, I write a song, back it up on DVD, add to it, back it up again, and repeat this process constantly with multiple songs. I am left with tons of DVD's that are outdated. Granted, it might be cool to listen to the older versions, but nothing is stopping me from saving older versions to a hard drive. In fact a hard drive would offer a lot more room for copies and much easier to organize, file, search what have you.

4.7GB of space just is not that much space when talking about backup.

Ultimately, this is my opinion and how I feel now. I really think that wanting a DVD burner falls under the gear lust, consumerism attitude. It is possible that a year from now I may be posting something completely contrary to my current opinion, but until I have been given a valid reason that a DVD burner is better than a hard drive for backup I will continue to think it is wasteful.
                    android

Comment

Ha, I thought of a reason I could use a DVD burner. It would be nice to have an INstall image with all the apps I use on it. So i can install a fresh copy of everything every few months without having to configure a bunch of ****************. Oh, wait, I can do that on a hard drive too. Damn.
                      android

Comment

Maybe one of these days someone will come up with a DVD format you can erase and re-write.

I'm not saying a hard drive is useless for backups, I use one for that, too. But I also archive static data onto DVDs. They make a lot of sense for things like digital photos, which I want unaltered orignals of.

While you're working on songs, keep backups on your hard drive. Great. But when you're finished with them, DVDs are an excellent archival medium.

Comment

Ahh, photos and final cuts are added to my list.
                          android

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Mason
                            if u are using a g4/g5 desktop just buy a pioneer 108. i bought mine for about $105 canadian dollars and it was easy to install, all my apps recognized it and it is all around great. u can always check the drive data base at www.xlr8yourmac.com to look into other options as well. dvdr is an affordable and nice way to back up in the studio. hope this helps a bit.

best of luck.

I second this. I have a DVR-106, which an OEM Pioneer drive, and its burned hundreds of DVD's and CD's without a problem. It works fine with Toast, iTunes, and Disk Utility, and I doubt Apple will stop supporting it.

So, any of the Pioneer DVR series is worth buying, and you might be able to pick up a 107 cheap since its yesterday's model. http://dealmac.com has good prices from reputable companies. Oh, and anything newer than a DVR-106 is dual format, so you won't lock yourself into any -/+ nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                            X